We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Topic
Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

A couple of years ago I became very interested in the early 19th century artist Edouard Vuillard. As an artist myself I have always been interested in that period of art history. One of his paintings was done on a large standing screen which is now in the National gallery in Washington. I love this painting.

As it's been a few years since I've been in Paris I would like to make another visit soon and want to know if this park [or square] still exists as pictured in the painting. He painted a few other views of this area but none affects me like this particular view. Can anyone tell me where it would be located or if it still even looks similar?

Thanks so much!

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

Of course if you haven't seen the painting you wouldn't know if it looks the same! I wasn't thinking about that! Just would like to know the area of the city where the park would be located.. Thanks!

Edited: 30 January 2013, 20:06
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

Is this the painting: impressionistsgallery.co.uk/artists/Artists/…

The square exists and is recognizable. You can find it easily with google maps.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

The Place is now called Place Adolphe-Max; it is in the 9th arrondisement. It was painted by Vuillard in the early 20th century (1911).

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

Thank you iverh! Yes, that is the painting--- if only the National Gallery would sell me the screen.

Thanks, French Twinkie--- I will look it up-- would love to see the park and the area although of course I wouldn't be able to see it from Vuillard's viewpoint. [and I meant to say early 20th century].

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

< The square exists and is recognizable >

Yes http://goo.gl/maps/qoQ0p

6. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 19:41
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

The Google map makes "le square", as the Parisians often call a small garden within a fence, rectangular but the photo (in link 5) shows that it is circular. ..with much less greenery than in the painting...

8. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?

Thank you new posters.

Would love to have an apartment there and spend some lovely days just sitting in that park. That whole square just says "Paris" to me. I will have to look up the Guggenheim to see if there is an image.

10. Re: Place Vintimille-- does it still exist?