We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

My daughter is allergic to peanuts. My husband says not to worry as peanuts aren't popular in Europe. How prevalent are peanuts in Paris? Can anyone with peanut issues share their experiences? I'm concerned primariily with the patisseries, boulangeries and creperies as I expect we'll be eating most of our meals there. Experiences related to restaurants would be great as well. Anything that will give me an idea as to how much of a concern this will be for us next summer is greatly appreciated.

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

This came up a while ago.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…7162667

Hope the link works, if not just type "peanut allergy" into the search box.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

"not to worry as peanuts aren't popular in Europe" He's got to be kidding. I wrote the original post in 2007 referred to in kebabs reply and printed the suggested translation on index cards. When I used them in France no one told us not to worry.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

peanut *butter* isn't all that common in France - it is common in some other European countries.

Peanuts as peanuts or as oil is fairly common. Peanuts are set out as nibbles with aperitifs in many places. Peanut oil is used for frying in many world cuisines.

While I've never seen an actual peanut in a pastry or crepe, you might want to consider carrying an allergy card like this: http://selectwisely.com/ recommended by many allergy sufferers who have visited France in the past.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 20:43
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

Thank you! I plan to bring cards as well. I speak French but I'm not planning on taking any chances of someone not understanding exactly what I'm telling them. I also like hte idea that the server can take the card to the chef.

Hemlock, were your grandchildren able to eat the ice cream, patisseries and crepes? I'm not so worried about restaurants because we won't actually be eating in many. I may actually email a few that I'm considering to see if they can manage her allergy. If not, we'll find a place elsewhere. My main concern are the small creperies and boulangeries where we plan to get fast things for breakfast, lunch and at times, dinner. My boys are for sure gonig to want treats and I want to give them to them but while my 7 yr old daughter understands, she'll feel so left out of she can't have them as well. I've told her I'll have safe treats on hand but she'll want to try the new things. It's part of the fun. If you could share you're experiences with those types of items I'd be really grateful.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

Your specific concern about patisseries and crêperies and treats is a non-issue, IMO. I have never, in 20 years of owning a house in France and traveling all over the country on more than 100 trips, and traveling with kids of all ages, seen a peanut in a crêpe or anything in a patisserie or boulangerie - which isn't to say that it's not possible, but it's not something to be very concerned about. Just ask when your daughter selects something to eat.

Take the card with you for extra security, but just ask. You'll be fine!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

I also have a nut allergy and have to be careful about what I eat. In Paris the only place I discovered that I had to skip some things was when selecting chocolates. Luckily the young man who helped me understood my concern and was able to tell me which chocolates I should avoid, beyond the obvious.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

I think you should state huile d'arachides and cacahouètes on the card.

A few people do not have in mind arachide=cacahouète.

You should be really carefull as huile d'arachides is used to fry and bake.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

Thank you. I do plan to include cacahuetes, arachides and l'huile d'arachide on the card. I want to make sure that its completely understood.

nacRoanoke its good to hear from someone who has dealt with it directly. I'm glad to hear that. I have to say, if there were chcolates with peanuts on display I woudn't be comfortable with her having any because of the risk of cross contamination. But I don't think chocolates will be a concern. She really doesn't like chocolate. Says it takes like peanuts. I expect its because her one an only reaction was with peanuts in chocolate.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

Where vegetable oil is used in baking or other food preparation, it will be much more likely to be sunflower or rape seed oil that is used rather than groundnut oil because of cost, except for a few speial recipes. Of course you could trade up to places that only use butter or olive oil.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Experiences with peanut allergies in Paris

casperjj, They were able to eat just about anything after we took the proper precautions. They were even able to eat Nutella crepes as Nutella is made with hazelnuts to which there was no allergy. We did some research before we left and we were not new to Paris. We found that restaurants bent over backwards to deal with our concerns. The place to worry are fast food places where the kids behind the counter may not realize the seriousness of the situation.