We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

DW and I will be visiting Paris for five days (including our arrival day) in early June and are planning a leisurely itinerary. While we would like to see some of the world famous art in the various museums, we don't want to be over-saturated. (I understand that this is sacrilege to some people.) Currently, we plan on visiting the Louvre and the Orsay Museums on separate days with visits to Versailles and other historical locales.

My question is: "What other art collection (singular) would we be totally remiss in not seeing while in Paris?"

Thank you for your suggestions.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

Even if you didn't go inside, strolling around the Rodin museum's grounds....

http://www.rodinmuseum.org/

It's not even like being at a museum. More like a park.

Pjk

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

What do you mean by "other historical locales"?

With only five days, for a leisurely visit, Louvre, Orsay, and Versailles is quite a lot. You could easily spend nearly a day in the Louvre to see the highlights, Napoleon III apartments, and some other great works, along with statuary and other exhibits of note. Orsay requires several hours or more without rushing. Versailles would be between half a day and a full day, depending on how much you plan to see there. If you want to visit just the Chateau and take a quick look at the gardens, half a day.

So, all that does not leave a lot of time with only five days.

What other art to see depends on your preferences.

Agree that Rodin is not to be missed.

If you're a Monet fan, highly recommend Musee Marmottan.

You may want to see whether any exhibitions of interest will be going on at Grand Palais, Petit Palais, Luxembourg, etc.

Some of the most exquisite collections are found at places like Jacquemart-Andre, Nissim de Camondo.

You may want to review a comprehensive list (on Fodor's, Frommers, etc.) to determine which places you would personally find most appealing.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

Musee de l'Orangerie is very nice, and takes perhaps an hour or so for those who want to have a nice slow walk-through... (known for the wall -size Monet lilies murals, but other fine works as well).

Instead of an "art museum" as you're thinking of it, what about going through a preserved mansion that illustrates how well-to-do folks lived a century or two ago? Example: Musee Jacquemart-Andre

Other than the 'museums / galleries' that might interest you, just walking around Paris and looking at the architecture, the beautifully constructed gardens, and the arching bridges is 'art' too.

4. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 December 2015, 17:15
Edited: 20 December 2015, 17:15
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,689 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

I enjoyed the Musee Marmatton and L'Orangerie (Monet's Water Lilies). L'Orangerie is small and can easily be seen in an hour.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

This is also at the Marmatton,

MARMOTTAN MUSEUM - 21st February to 30th June 2013.

The MARMOTTAN museum welcomes a tribute to Marie LAURENCIN, one of the most famous women painter during the 20th century.

Pjk

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

Don't forget to check days closed...Louvre, Orsay, Versailles...Monday or Tuesday.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

I truly enjoyed the Musee d'Orsay and the Musee de l'Orangerie far more than I did the Louvre. Perhaps that's because I'm more a fan of Impressionism than of some of the classics that you find in the Louvre.

The popular pieces in the Louvre (Mona Lisa, Venus) were surrounded by dozens and dozens of people, making it hard to get a good glimpse and also making it feel as though you were part of a herd mentality. It was difficult to stop and enjoy the art because others were pushing in to see it, too.

Personally, I would return to d'Orsay and l'Orangerie before returning to the Louvre.

While not an art museum, one place I highly recommend it Sainte-Chappelle near Notre Dame. It's a much smaller church with stunningly beautiful stained glass windows surrounding the entire upper chapel.

sainte-chapelle.monuments-nationaux.fr/en/

sacred-destinations.com/france/paris-sainte-…

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

If you are afraid of art overload, consider the Louvre's affiliated (and nearby) Musée des Arts Décoratifs. There are only a few paintings, but lots of "practical" sculpture, furniture, porcelain and china, silverware, and much more. These are all beautiful things, which also describe the history of France. My wife, who has a low threshold for "easel art" enjoys decorative arts museums. You could spend one to four hours here. There's a fashion museum in the same entryway, separate admission, but also on the Museum Pass.

10. Re: Avoiding Art Gallery Overload

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 05:17