We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

After an overnight flight and the Roissy Bus to Opera, we are hoping to walk to our hotel (near Arts and Metiers Metro) to stretch our legs, and get some daylight to help get through the jetlag (and also because we will arrive too early for our hotel).

From the map it looks like we take Rue de 4 Sept which turns into Rue Reamur and it looks like it would be between 2 and 3 km.

Would this be a good route or would it be better to walk down Ave De L'Opera to Rue Des Petites Champs.

We will have our wheeled carry on bags that we are happy to pull along and 2 - 3 kms should only take 30 minutes or so.

Also, is there a Paris website which gives walking routes and estimated times? And are there particular areas in 3eme that we should avoid at night for our family of four?

Edited: 06 February 2013, 06:01
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

Why wouldn't you just take RER get off and walk from Chatelet if you just want a walk?

Any hotel I have ever been to will let you check in and leave your bags in the morning. , all us westerns flights arrrive early , but of course you are unlikely to get into your room , but you can dump luggage !

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

Google Maps will give walking times for any city. Just load the map, at the left you will see "get directions" just enter start and end points and voila! The route and the approx time.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

Go with your first idea - rue Reamur is the most efficient, time-wise. If you don't mind walking, it's an interesting area - and much nicer than rolling around in the underground maze of Chatelet. Sidewalks can be narrow in spots, but you will be fine.

GoogleMaps is often a little misleading, since their choices are not always the most direct - check their suggested routes against a "real" map, and see if you can come up with something more efficient.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

I'm not sure how Google can be considered not "real" ... the maps are superimposed over a real photograph so are exact replicas of streets. In fact you can switch to an image and zoom in to see front doors... how much more "real" can that be. If the suggested directions seem a bit odd obviously one would double check and do a bit of research ... it's a very simple system and most people seem to be able to manage it.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

As someone who walks I know my walking pace exactly (6km/hour or 100m/a minute) and I have noticed google maps gives accurate distances and the most direct walking routes of any map site (I wouldn't say the same for driving). It's exactly 2 km from Place de l'Opéra to métro Arts et Métiers so with wheeled carry-on slowing you down and stopping at traffic lights before crossing the street it should take a good 30 minutes. And follow your first idea, rue des Petits Champs is less convenient with wheeled luggage (much smaller sidewalks). I think it's a great idea to start your stay with a walk.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

Thanks everyone:

I have researched the RER option (underground, possibly crowded, stairs, many possible stops) versus the Roissy Bus (above ground, airconditioned, one stop) and the cost is almost the same for our group of four. We are travelling with two kids (12 and 13) and we are going to struggle with keeping them awake that first day and we don't want to worry about getting off at the wrong stop. We will most likely take the RER back to CDG at the end of our stay but then we won't be dealing with jetlagged children.

If it is pouring rain we will take a taxi from Opera but if not we will walk to try to wake up and stretch our legs after a long trip from Vancouver.

Google maps is great for showing directions, but can't provide info on the vibe of an area. I am glad to hear that the Rue Raemur is an interesting area. If we are lucky we will find a small grocer or deli to buy a few things along the way.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

Many use gps or ipod maps but I find there is nothing quite like a Practial Paris or a Paris Arrondissements map to make life easier when navigating.

Enjoy.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

If you love walking and you see it as efficient and a great learning experience, which I do, then I would recommend doing a lot of it in Paris, and I think it's a fantastic idea upon arrival. I will recommend a great little walking route book to you" "Insight Guides: Paris Step By Step." It details walks in various areas of Paris and points out sights--some of them small and easily missed otherwise--along the way. It contains an excellent street map and a Metro route chart, and it is small enough to carry around with you easily.

Have a great trip!

9. Re: Walking from Opera to Temple and other walking questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 06:18