We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

I am just curious after having seen a segment on the Food Channel on finger foods and appetizers with European flaire.

Are there any informal buffet-style restaurants in Paris? For families and the casually-attired?

Thank you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

I've never heard of a buffet-style restaurant in Paris. I seem to remember someone asking this a while ago, and the concensus was that they're not something you see in Paris.

Other than street food, the most informal you're apt to see is a café.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

I did eat in the cafeteria at the BHV. Not exactly a buffet, but many choices. I had an excellent quiche with smoked salmon and haricort vert. Atmosphere, not so great, but it seemed to be filled with a lot of locals and families.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

You're right, F1. I'm not sure it's what the OP had in mind, but I happened to be waiting for someone at the BHV cafeteria last month, and while I was waiting, looked at the food people were buying. Most of it looked very good. Not at all what I think of cafeteria food in the US, and the prices weren't bad either.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

Similar situation at Galeries Lafayette as well, if that's what you had in mind.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

Here is a list of 15 unlimited buffet restaurants in Paris, many of which are ethnic.

www.topito.com/top-restaurants-volonte-paris

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

Well, there's always Flunch.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

I'm guessing that, even with an actual buffet presentation, one probably does not 'go back' for more food after the first pass..? In other words, you pay perhaps 20€ for the buffet, you make your selections from all the choices, eat that, and your meal is now complete...

Just wondering, b/c in the US, when one pays for a buffet-style meal, it is typically "all you can eat" (which many treat as "eat 'til you drop").

So - - which method is employed at Parisian buffets?

BYW, #6 Cantine des Tontons has already closed and reopened as a Chez Loulou....

Edited: 06 February 2013, 20:22
Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

There is a difference in my mind between a 'cafeteria' and a 'buffet'.

You point out dishes in a cafeteria and they are handed to you or dished up for you..

You dish up your own food from a buffet...

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

Travelnutty you are sooo cute. I got a BIG LAUGH from these cute comments. THANKS. Yes, there is a difference between cafeteria style in that they serve you the food, buffet, you serve yourself. Occasionally, I just want to see the choices already cooked rather than picking from menu, I think it's fun.

And so right about the comment which really reflects on how I personally eat. I hardly ever go back for 2nds even at those great Vegas buffets. I am usually filled up after the first plate. Though I've seen families and people who go back for 3rds even. Pigs. :) Just kidding. Hey you pay good price for the top buffets in Vegas why not.

Thank you to everyone. I got a big kick out of this post. THANK YOU.

PS What is BHV?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris (Informal) Buffet Style Restaurants?

It's in French though.