We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
458 reviews
Save Topic
If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

I don't know if I fell in love with st Germain because it was my first, or because I have gotten so comfortable with it, but would really like to explore other areas to stay in.

I have visited other areas but to me none come close. I do think there is a difference between visiting for a few hours vs sleeping there for a week so really want to explore.

Anyone else here who loves st Germain and another area as well?

What I adore is the part between the river and jardin Luxembourg. The cafes on rue du buci, the riverside walks, views of notre dame, proximity to latin q, the art galleries, the little crooked streets that are generally closed to traffic (as compared to the grand boulevards which I don't care for) the odeon theater, pubs near rue canard, small village feel.

Thoughts?? Thanks.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

Then you could try:

- the Northern part of Montmartre, ie NOT the touristy one around Abesses / Lepic, but rather the part around Lamarck / Caulaincourt (plus the wonderful Villa Leandre on avenue Junot);

- Village de Charonne in the 20th;

- Mouzaia in the 19th;

- some parts of Butte aux Cailles in the 13th;

- the couple of streets south of Square Trousseau in the 11th;

- Cité des fleurs in the 17th

... to give just a few names. One could add more traditional one such as Place des Vosges, Canal Saint Martin and the like.

London
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

Where is the Rue Canard? Sounds great, but I can't find it on the map. Thanks!

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,961 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

rue des Canettes?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

Yes cannettes!

Paris's. thank you. I will start google walking and researching.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

You are definitely on the right track because the fact is that you have fallen in love with exploring Paris. The St Germain area is a great introduction, I think, because it is accessible. It is pretty, lots of English is spoken, it is central, etc. But it's great that you want to go "beyond" next time.

You might enjoy exploring around rue Montorgueil and St Eustache. The southern part of the Marais is easily accessible as well. (Have a look at the area around rue Bourg Tiboug and rue des Rosiers.) And I love rue des Martyrs in the 9th. And around Place d'Aligre in the 12th.

You never run out of places to explore! I have enjoyed the Barbes market in the 18th, the covered passages in the 2nd, etc.,

And I still have so much to learn!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

The N Marais around la rue de Bretagne has those lively meandering streets like St Germain, with plenty of cafés and people watching.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,808 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

You can pick the beginning of the rue Cardinal Lemoine in the 5th near the river and follow it all the way up to the Place Contrascarpe where you are rewarded with a drink at one of the three cafes around the Place. Rewarded if you ask for one and if you pay for it. But on the way there are several things to discover. For example, http://www.5ecru.com/ Also look for #74.

Pjk

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

PJK I think you are a st Germain fan and was going to contact you. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

Phread- where in the Marai exactly? I don't know it well)

Parisx-- I found 2 hotels that look nice- the relais and the des artes- neither is where you are recomending in Montemarte but it looks very close.

PJK-- would you ever/have you ever stayed outside st germain? (I stayed near park manceau once and didnt like it so i have cold feet..)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you LOVE St Germain, you will love-----???

I agree with you about the little streets and village feel of much of the Left Bank. But another thought might be to try the hot and vibrant canal neighborhood. One hotel that pops up is the well located Canal St. Martin. www.hotel-canal-st-martin.com/uk/index.php Walking distance to good restaurants (eg Le Galopin, Philou, Youpi et Voila), lots of young vibes like those off rue de Canettes, great walking along the canal. This is a hip and bustling area full of young creative energy.

It might be both fun and safe for you to book several days in a new area and the rest in your old neighborhood.