We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

1) What be the customary tip for short taxi ride?

2) Are taxis there equipped with credit card apparatus like they do here in the US?

3) Do you have to ask the taxi driver for the rate from Point A to Point B before you get in the cab? Reason I ask, is this is the biggest racket in Jerusalem in that beware to the unsuspecting tourist, even the locals get victimized if they don't ask in advance. [BTW, I love Israel and its people and will re-visit someday.]

4) What is the usual denomination of Euros that come out of the ATM machine (say, $200) and what if I wanted smaller denomination for short taxi ride and tip? Where's the best place to get smaller change?

5) Are the ATMs easily understood with ENGLISH as an option?

Thank you.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 16:10
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

1) Not really, maybe just round up the total

2) No

3) usually 10, 20 or 50 but never 5

4) As soon as you put your card in the machine will change to English (well it does with UK cards anyway).

Edited: 12 February 2013, 16:12
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

oops, 3 should be 4!

3) All cabs are metered but its always worth asking the aprox rate. I always do this if going more than a few K)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

To try to get smaller bills enter an odd amount, such as €210 instead of €200.

In this case you'll at least get one €10 bill.

Tipping is not customary in France, but I agree with rounding up as mentioned above.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

1) I usually leave 1 to 2 euros depending on the distance

2) more and more do, in fact; I think Taxis G7 (about half of the Paris taxi pool) are 100% equipped, though the drivers are not obliged to accept this form of payment is the bill is less than 15 euros

3) it can be done, but that sounds odd. An alternative woul be to check www.taxisg7.com/estimation-tarif-duree-course

4) in a number of ATMs, you can usually choose between several notes combinations

5) automatically indeed, or sometimes, the first screen will list several possible languages.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

In January I noticed, for the first time, that *some* ATM's ask if you want smaller bills when you're withdrawing a large sum. A real improvement to all those E50 notes.

And it's also true that G7 taxis (at least the two I was in) accept credit cards. Best to ask the driver before you get in though.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

I always get the sharp 'NON' when trying to pay by CC, and that was also with G7. Back in Paris Sunday so will put it to the test again.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

Response: "In January I noticed, for the first time, that *some* ATM's ask if you want smaller bills.."

This is very nice. But where does one find such an ATM, can they be found at the airports please?

Thanks.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

HSBC has an exclusive concession for ATMs at CDG, and all HSBC ATMs I have used in Paris have always offered this option (provided they have sufficient bills, of course), so my guess would be yes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

The ATM's I used were in the 11th, near the apartment I stayed at. I don't even remember which bank it was. But it happened at two different ATM's, of that I'm sure. I'm hoping it's a trend.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Tipping and ATM Questions please?

According to the G7 website, all their taxis are equipped to accept credit cards. They are obligated to take a CC if the fare is over 15 Euros. They can refuse for a fare under 15 Euros. Of course, the drivers would much prefer cash.