We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

Hello. I don't know if this is part of the HoHo Grand Tour but I would certainly want to visit the inside of it. If I were to venture on my own, how to get there, my hotel is near Notre Dame.

Thank you.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

parisperfect.com/blog/…

Bus 69. Cheaper than the hoho, and will take you from Notre Dame to Invalides.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

WOW, this is excellent. Thank you. I will definitely hop on this one. Wonderful link. THE BEST. How much is all-day bus fare, and do you buy it from the driver?

THANK YOU.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 15:44
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

All of that info is here. There are full day passes (substantially less than a hoho) and week-long passes that are Monday - Sunday

http://parisbytrain.com/tag/paris-metro/

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

You buy them at metro stations. From what I understand, the Mobilis is a paper ticket that can easily be messed up. But the Navigo Decouvert (weekly pass) is a plastic card that you can keep and reuse for up to 10 years on subsequent visits to Paris.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

Bus 69 goes "near" Invalides. Then entrance for the Army Museum is on rue de Grenelle. Bus 69 has a stop there going west, but going east, the stop is on rue Saint Dominique, a long block away.

The entrance to Napoleon's Tomb is at Place Vauban, on the opposite side of this rather large complex.

Bus 69 also travels "near" Notre Dame. You'd get off at either Chatelet or Hotel de Ville and cross the Seine to get to Notre Dame.

There's a map of the entrances on the official website.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

DJK - what a savvy travel guide you are! Hope to find someone like you when I'm finally there.

As I come to gather more and more information, I think I will walk to the Tomb from my hotel (near Notre Dame). Someone was very kind to give me the walking path directions, and it is very achievable. I will bring my best walking shoes.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This forum is a wonderful tool and help to the tourist, in more ways than one.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 17:20
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

Nemor when you visit Invalides take a moment to visit Foch's tomb. It's kinda tucked away in there, few tourists pay it much mind. But I think it's worth a brief stop to say "hi" to true French hero who fought for democracy and freedom. As opposed to a meglomaniac despotic "emperor" who seized control by means of a coup and went on to invade one country after another.

I will confess to taking of pic of nap. When my little 8 year old niece saw it she said, I kid you not, "kinda short isn't it"?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

I promise to look for it!

I am also wondering if anyone knows about a laminated foldout street map of Paris? I know they have this for other towns I've visited. Something that can be conveniently tucked into one's purse?

Thanks again to all, I love your anecdotes. Thank you.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 23:43
tennessee
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

Streetwise has a laminated fold up map that I have found easy to use. I got mine from Amazon.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Les Invalides - Napoleon's Tomb

Yeah, I think that's it. I got one for Jerusalem and New Orleans. Good stuff. Thanks I will look it up. THANK YOU.