We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from London!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from London!

We will be in London for a week and have been romanticizing about also visiting Paris for a day trip, taking the Eurostar train there and back.

We understand that this would be just a taste of all the wonderful things Paris has to offer! The main things we want to do are 1. The Eiffel tower - and 2. The Louvre. Since the Louvre is open on Wednesday and Friday until 9:45, we would probably pick one of the 2 days to do the day trip, giving us more time inside after dark.

Will we have enough time or can we even add some other attraction to our day??

Edited: 20 February 2013, 13:28
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from London!

Take the earliest train possible to Paris and the latest departure back to London. Try to reserve your ET tickets on line and you will be able to do the Lourve once over lightly. You may have enough time for a one hour cruise on the Seine or a visit to Notre Dame or the Arch du Triomphe. Make sure your trip is well planned and try to get a Paris Metro map before you leave.

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from London!

I echo everything hemlock127 said. Try to get in a boat ride on the Seine - Bateaux Mouche is one of the better lines. It will give you a chance to 'see' a few more things and also a chance to put your feet up and relax, as you will have a very long day. Walk through the Tuilleries on the way to the Louvre and plan a bit of your Louvre visit in advance as it is huge and can be very overwhelming. Night visits are very cool there though and provide a different experience than the day as you get a bit more of a feel for the building itself.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from London!

Yay! Just booked the train for April 3rd. There are no more tickets up to the summit of the Eiffel tower though ;(. What are our chances of getting tickets on arrival? Do we get pre-paid Louvre tickets, or are those usually easy to get on site?

Edited: 20 February 2013, 14:52
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from London!

If you use the Carrousel entrance on the Rue de Rivoli, you should be ok. Search the forum for Rivoli louvre entrance and you should get a ton of great advice on saving time getting into the Louvre.

If you have the cash, you can book lunch at Le Jules Verne on the second floor of the Eiffel Tower. It's going to be about E90 each, without wine, but it's an amazing view and you don't have to deal with a line or buying tickets for the Tower. They have their own private elevator and they will let you out of the restaurant and go mingle with everyone else on the second level. I myself didn't bother going all the way to the top -- many people say it's not worth it because the view is actually better from the 2nd floor.

http://www.lejulesverne-paris.com/

Edited: 20 February 2013, 15:17
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from London!

Sounds really nice, but I am not sure we want to spend that much on one meal! The second floor tickets are also sold out for the date we will be there, except for 22:00, which is after we will depart.

I am wondering if we will be able to get in line and actually get tickets to go up to any level!

Does the Louvre sell out sometimes too? I will try the Rivoli entrance!

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from London!

You will spend a lot of your day trying to get up and down the ET. I've done it once, and it's OK. I prefer going to the park and walking around it - seeing it from near and far is enough to give me goosebumps. Take a picnic and have lunch in the park. Beautiful views of Paris can be had from the top of Galleries Lafayette for free. There is a cafeteria up there with a rooftop deck - you can see the ET, Mont St. Michel, the Opera. Also you can climb to the top of Notre Dame for fee, also gorgeous views and you can get close to the gargoyles, but get there early to get in line. The line forms to the left of Notre Dame as you stand looking at the front. Also take time to just breathe in Paris. The first time I went it was a whirlwind and I left disappointed, with each subsequent trip I become more and more enchanted. For the Louvre, buy your tickets ahead of time and skip the long lines.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from London!

Thank you for all the suggestions! I think we will purchase Louvre tickets in advance as suggested! I also think we will do as you state and not try to go up to the top of the tower. The best view is probably from outside anyway!

I am sooooo excited!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from London!

There is an amazing view of Paris from the top of the Montparnasse tower - and it includes a view of the Eiffel tower. Apparently, there is never any wait to go up, and it's reasonably priced.

Notre Dame is most likely going to have a long line to climb the towers, and there is a fee, it's not free to climb the towers. It is free to simply enter the church through the front door, and that line usually moves very very quickly.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from London!

Hmmm, who suggested to buy Louvre tickets in advance, I haven't in over a dozen visits, and I always go high season in summer, no need to , once I learned the tip about the Caroseul entrance on this website and used it, it works.. it really does.

No Louvre does not sell out.

As for ET, you could also consider taking the stairs up, the line for them is never that long, you take stairs to second level and then you can purchase an elevator ticket to top from there, but I don't bother anymore, views from 2nd level are great. You do not need to be a fitness guru to do stairs, I am old and fat and manage fine, lol . ok, seriously not too old, but first time I did them I was 45 and not fit, and managed, just go slow.

I think you will have more then enough time to enjoy the Louvre, and a visit to ET.. if lines are too long for ET then you do get a nice view from top of Arc , almost better as you get a view of the ET too.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from London!

I have a 17 year old, who is supposed to have free access to the Louvre. When I purchase tickets for myself and my husband, will he be allowed in without standing in line? Should I just purchase an adult ticket?