We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different Paris gifts?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
193 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Different Paris gifts?

I was hoping y'all could recommend some great gifts to bring back from Paris that aren't so touristy and hoefully more authenticly french (ie no screen-print tees). This is our first trip to France so I'm not sure what would even apply (maybe cool bags or scarfs) but I was hoping y'all could give me some ideas and maybe some areas that would be great to look in.

To help - I'm not into name brand or really pricy things, just cool things that you can't really find in the states.

Sorry if I'm being too broad but like I said - I have no idea what I'm looking for. I just know what I don't want.

Thanks again!!!

Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
My Private Paris
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different Paris gifts?

Our favorite gifts to bring back are from the grocery store! We get jams, jellies, honey, chocolate, maybe Herbes de Provence and bring them back, putting them into little baskets for our friends. We spend less than 10E on each, and with their French labels, they look oh-so-gourmet. Our friends love it.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different Paris gifts?

You can find some lovely print tablecloths and placemats, especially those that come from Provence. They make great packing material for more delicate items.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different Paris gifts?

I remember the Marais to have a lot of small boutiques with many special gifts, e.g. I saw a shop that only dealt in olive products including jars and plates with olive motives a.s.o.

There was also a shop with itsy-bitsy tiny miniature dolls, figurines, stuff for dolls houses and other things, e.g. made of of bright coloured glass.

No, I can't remember the name of the streets.

But I will second the suggestion of just buying small grocery-items or special delicacies, and give them as gifts arranged in a basket With-Love-From-Paris.

My special souvenir for my Mum is always to find her a new magnet for her fridge (yes, it sounds banal, but you can get some really cute ones in Paris, that you cannot find at home).

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Different Paris gifts?

mma --

My favourite places to shop for gifts are the gift shops in the museums. In addition to books and prints there are always neat small items like purse mirrors, fridge magnets, beautifully decorated notebooks, and lots of interesting small toys for the children on your list.

I always manage to find some good stocking stuffers in addition to the gifts and souvenirs.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different Paris gifts?

Fragonard soaps, they even have some with Eiffel Towers on them.

http://www.fragonard.com/ for the paris addresses. Pricey but so nice as a special gift. Really, anything from the shop.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different Paris gifts?

I know "ya'll" is common here in the Southeast US, but didn't know it was in Germany! C'mon, where are you really from?! :)

Re: shopping in France - I've heard they have wonderful soaps with olive oil, lavender, etc., so I plan to get some of those for the women in my family, and wine for some other friends and family. The Herbes de Provence sound good too. I thought I'd see if you can still pick up francs anywhere for gifts for the kids. Happy shopping!

Level Contributor
5,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different Paris gifts?

Right across from the Senate at Luxembourg their is a gift store that has special items with the logo of the French Senate. I got many gifts there that one can not buy elswhere.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different Paris gifts?

A sample of mustards from the Maille store place de la Madeleine.

They have many flavors that are not exported.

DARK chocolates.

French decoration magazines.

A jazz CD fromFrench musicians (Richard Galliano and Eddie Louis, or Michel Portal for example).

Carte noire coffee.

La Roche Posay moisturizer.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different Paris gifts?

I like to get some of the menus from the restaurants I've eaten at (yes, even with stains on them) and frame them and put them in my kitchen. You would be surprised how willing the restaurants are to give you copies of their menus, that is if you tell them how great their restaurant is.

Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Different Paris gifts?

French dark chocolate.

It might be pricy. And you'll want to keep it cool.