We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three and one half day itenerary

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Three and one half day itenerary

I have gotten lots of great info from this forum while planning my August 29 - Sept 2 trip to Paris, so thank you

I now have my hotel and plane tickets, so I would appreciate opinions on my itenerary. We will fly from DC late wednesday and arrive around 11:30 am thursday August 29. This is my plan so far.

thursday afternoon:

Just walking around St. Germain, near hotel, and the Latin Quarter. Later a dinner cruise on the Seine, on Bateaux Parisiens.

Friday

Breakfast in the hotel, then

a few hours in the Lourve

walk or metro to Place de Concorde

Champs Elysee

shopping

Saturday

Notre Dame

St. Chappel

Napoleans Tomb

another small museum - Musée de l'Orangerie or D'Orsay

Sunday

a guided walking tour of Montmarte

Louxemburg Park in the afternoon

walking, looking, eating - this is for every day

Friday or Saturday night

Dinner in Jules Verne

either Aux Trois Mailletz or Caveau De La Huchette

Dinner at Joséphine-Chez Dumonet

New Morning jazz Club

Sunday night

Dinner at hotel, Relais St. Germain

tour around Paris in a convertible citreon

Any suggestions or improvements are welcomed.

thank you

This is our first trip to Paris

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

<<Later a dinner cruise on the Seine, on Bateaux Parisiens. >>

First off, I wouldn't do a dinner cruise; it's a better idea to take a regular cruise and then go find someplace nearby with actually good food. Second, I wouldn't do an evening cruise the day of your arrival. I've slept through a couple of those.

The Champs Elysées isn't all it's cracked up to be, and certainly not a great shopping venue, unless you're looking for automobiles. There are loads better places to shop and see things other than big box stores.

The Musée d'Orsay is not what I'd call a small museum. Paris is full of small museums, though, if you want suggestions.

The convertible citröen sounds very cool.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

The Orangery is gorgeous and I recommend it after the Louvre. It's a nice walk from the Louvre, on your way to Concorde. It's a lovely walk all the way to Concorde, and there is an ice cream stand near the big fountain at the end of your walk.

If you are tired, you could take the metro from Concorde to Etoile (the Arc de Triomphe) and walk downhill along the Champs Elysees for a block or two. There is a big Monoprix on the Champs Elysees, as well as car dealerships, Louis Vuitton, Sephora -- not sure what you're interested in. You could get back on the Metro at FDR and ride the 9 train to Chaussée d'Antin - La Fayette. The big department stores are there, Printemps and Galleries Lafayette. I highly recommend going to the roof of the Galleries Lafayette for an amazing view.

Saturday sounds great:

Get to Notre Dame early to get in line if you're going up to the bell towers. Then go to St Chappelle, d'Orsay and then Napoleon's tomb/Invalides.

Personally, I would probably pick Saturday for Le Jules Verne. You'll be better rested. I went about that time of year and I think the sun was setting 9pm, so the Tower lit up at 9pm. It was amazing.

I hope you have an amazing time :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

If you do decide to do a dinner cruise, which gets very mixed reviews at best, I'd do it on a day other than the day you arrive. You can likely count on suffering some jet lag, making everything a sort of fog. It's a lot of money to spend to not be at your best to experience it properly.

I'm guessing that a bit of exploring in the neighborhood and dinner might be all you can reasonably get accomplished on your arrival day. But everyone is different, and you might be the exception.

I also agree about shopping on the Champs Elysées. It's not only expensive, it's really just stores you can likely find pretty close to home.

I treated two young ladies to a CV2 tour in January when we were there, and they thought it was super. I bet you will too. Enjoy your trip.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

Don't forget your stopwatch.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

I don't know if you were thinking this or not, but the Musee D'Orsay is not small. A small museum near Napoleon's Tomb is the Musee Rodin. I think they're renovating it right now and I don't know when it's supposed to be done. However, the gardens are supposed to stay open, and according to my sister that's the best part. (I didn't go in as the gardens were enough for me.) My sister went back later and said the rest of the museum was nice but she was getting tired of sculpture by the end.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

TracieKnits,

thanks the Galleries Layfayette is the type of shopping I was looking for, so thanks for directions

StCirq and HappyGoin,

Thanks for good suggestions.

I do have mixed feelings about the cruise. I have been told on TA, that we shoud try to stay up late, 11 pm or midnight on the first night, to adjust to the local timezone, and fight jet lag. So I thought the cruise would be a good way to do that. So I am not sure what I will do about that. I could do something else until 11 or so.

btgm, thanks for the suggestion about the museums.

And Euromaniac,

Everybody has one.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

I don't recommend any tours in moving vehicles on your first day! No hoho, no boat, no bus - it's way to easy to fall asleep on them and then jet lag might be harder to get over.

I also don't think you need to say up particularly late on your first day. My hubby flies internationally a lot, and he's quite happy if he can make it to 8pm or so in the evening of his first day - he thinks 9:30 is ideal for him. He might wake up early the next morning, but he sees it as time to see the city wake up.

If you want to go straight to Galleries Lafayette from Concorde, you can take the metro line 1 to FDR and transfer. Or really, a taxi wouldn't be that expensive either. There might be an ideal bus route, but I don't know the buses very well.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

I am firmly in the do not nap, stay up camp, but I can't make it to 11 or midnight on Day 1. I shoot for bedtime at 10 pm and I'm just fine the next morning on Paris time.

Plus, the boat ride can be soporific - all that lapping water - and even though Paris is lit up, it's dark outside. And you're sitting down. And the food's iffy at best, and your eating patterns are out of whack.

I find it best to keep moving on Day 1, get as much sunlight (Vitamin D) as possible, take frequent stops for a coffee or tea as the day progresses, and have a very light meal for dinner.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

I have on occasion taken a nap on arrival, but I think it's important to set an alarm and get up after a few hours. I've done the afternoon nap and then get up for dinner and been able to sleep that night. What you don't want to do is sleep all day so you're up all night your first night there and can't get onto a normal day/night schedule. However, I do usually stay up if I can.

I figure if I make it until 8 or 9 I'm ok since that's an almost normal bedtime.

10. Re: Three and one half day itenerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:17