We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping my Paris purchases home

Berlin
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping my Paris purchases home

I plan on purchasing a variety of beauty products at the pharmacie and also chocolate and mustad. Can these be packed in a flat rate box to ship home?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

I suppose you could. Packages may be inspected by customs and their contents subject to seizure if you ship to other, non EU countries. Some medicines may be suspect depending upon to where they are shipped but overall, you should have no problems.

La Poste sells flat rate boxes you can use. Visit any post office.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I usually buy books in Paris, which are heavy and I have shipped them home in the flat rate boxes at La Poste....as I recall it was around 41 euro to do this....much better than paying for overweight luggage!

I'm sure you could do the same with other items, just make sure they are well packaged and protected.

Malama Pono, (take care)

Janet

Edited: 25 February 2013, 18:15
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,987 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

If you pack light to begin with you can just load up your checked bag for the trip home.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

When shipping lotions, liquids, gels by post from Paris - frankly, you just never know if they will make it or not. Sometimes they are confiscated during the x-ray process, sometimes Customs takes them, and sometimes they are stolen somewhere along the way. Sometimes part of the shipment arrives, sometimes nothing at all. Don't falsify the Customs ticket - they always find out at x-ray.

If at all possible, the best and most reliable way to transport these items is in your checked luggage. It is worth paying the luggage fee. Even then, mammoth-sized products may be confiscated. Best to purchase several small sized items, even though you might not save as much.

If you decide to take the chance and ship, it's a good idea to ship food items separately from lotions and potions. Food sometimes makes it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

I have had NO problems sending my cache of shampoos, cleansers and sunblocks (together with my laundry for cushioning) inside those Colissimo boxes from the Post Office. They get to their final destination, which in my case is Canada, in some 10 days time. I wouldn't pack a box entirely with liquids and gels without a lot of insulation.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

We are flying on a cheapie AF ticket to Nice and back in the middle of our trip with no checked bags allowed unless we pay extra. After having shopped in Paris for a few days, I will have to decide whether to lug the purchases with me to Nice and back and pay an unknown extra fee or ship them home before going to Nice. It sounds like shipping might be cheaper? I am hesitating because last time I tried that, my package was opened en route and one shoe was missing!

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

Ah, my dilemma!

Do I bring a smallish copper saucepan home in checked luggage (24"spinner" -- I don't think it would survive in a duffel bag) or buy a bigger one and ship the pan?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

Putting it in checked luggage doesn't guarantee it won't go missing...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,320 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

I shipped several things home from Paris (including much of my warm clothing unwisely believing the predictions for hot weather in what turned out to be cold and rainy Spain) it all arrived but a large tin of confirt canard was badly dented although packed in this big box and pretty well cushioned with the clothes. These boxes must get incredibly tough handling. A jar of lotion would have been broken in our load.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shipping my Paris purchases home

I ship things home on every trip. We do carryon only, so this works for us. So far I have mailed lotions, cold meds, sunscreen, chocolate, soaps, perfume and costmetics all with no issues at all. So far all those Collissimo boxes from La Poste have made it here to Oregon in about 7 days, with one taking 10 days.