We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Port Lincoln...
9 posts
Save Topic
Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Hello,

My husband and I are going on our honeymoon mid July, we have 2 weeks on the road in a hire car, and another week on a Royal Carribean Cruise leaving from Venice and going around the Greek Isle. Our plan was as follows - but we don't know if it will work out?

Fly London to Paris Tuesday 16 July.

Paris to Geneva on 19 July

Geneva to Florence (via Pisa?!) 20 July

Florence to Rome 23 July

Rome to Venice 25 July

Cruise leaves on the 28th of July.

We want to see as much as we can, but understand that it is a big ask. We had also hoped to catch the Tour De France but don't know how to go about this (I have seen the race course and it looks like we'd be best catching stage 19)

Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

I wouldn't fly London to Paris, take the Eurostar, it's probably quicker. IMHO you would be better to cut down the cities, think of all the traveling and unpacking and then packing. Plus, flying from Australia you will have jetlag so that will definately afffect your plans. On our last trip and our next one we are staying at least 3 nites in London to recover.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Hi there

Agree with taking the Eurostar. I also agree that is a lot to cover. Maybe you coud break the trip into 2 parts - 1 week exploring a part of France & the other a part of Italy. A couple of years back we had 8 days in in Italy and drove and it was very busy and tiring but it was not our honeymoon. Driving the countryside in France/Italy is a very pleasant experience but the experience of driving in Rome - it is not for the faint hearted. We parked our car in a garage opposite Termini. It was fine getting there but on leaving one wrong turn resulted in us driving for 1.5hrs trying to get out. LOL we were like the Griswalds. Didn't drive Florence but it is full of ZTL's as is Rome which if violated can result in fines. Thankfully we didn't receive any. In reality, you don't need a car for these places.

A book which helped us on another driving holiday in France was - Dk Backroads France - this could give you an idea of a place you could concentrate on. There is also one for Italy.

I understand totally your way of thinking. We fly so far to get there, that the need to pack in as much as possible always first and foremost.

Kind Regards

Merran

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

I third the don't fly to Paris, if purchased well in advance its usually cheaper to take Eurostar, especially when you remember its city center to city center so no extra cost and waste of time commuting to and from airports.. think about that..

I personally would skip the rent a car thing, driving it into Rome, and Florence will not be fun, parking not cheap, and its easy to get tickets there for driving in wrong places.. plus you just do not need a car in any of those places. A train trip is more more pleasant. And point to point tickets can be cheaper then renting a car, paying gas and tolls and insurance.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Personally, I would take the train from London to Paris and fly or train from Paris to Florence and skip Geneva. Not that there is anything wrong with Geneva, it's just alot of travelling to fit into a short time. Give yourself another day in one of the other incredible cities.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Optional itnerary

Train London to Paris www.eurostar.com

Train Paris to Geneva www.tgv-europe.com/en Enter "Antarctic" as country to avoid being transfered

Flights Geneva to Rome www.easyjet.com

Trains Rome to Florence to Venice www.trenitalia./homepage_en.html www.italotreno.it

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.visitlondon.com www.timeout.com/london

www.Parisinfo.com www.timeout.com/paris

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.visitflorence.com www.timeout.com/florence

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

The time you have a car will be a hinderance, and if you want to rent a vehicle one way into another country ( if allowed), it will carry a very high surcharge.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

On second thought I would fly Paris to Rome and work your way back to Venice via Florence.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Agree with taking Eurostar, trains rather than car hire (which would also be less stressful than driving).

I'm one who would just not attempt five major destinations, plus Geneva and Pisa, in two weeks. Too much moving around, too much time consumed getting from place to place, and too few days in any of them to relax and enjoy.

But, I'm also one who would encourage you to plan the trip as you please, keeping in mind, as mentioned, that it will be a lot of rushing about, especially after a very long journey. And, Rome and other places in Italy, in particular, can be hot and muggy in July, which can really slow you down.

Keep in mind that you'll be hauling your luggage and other belongings all about, and may want/need to do some laundry ahead of your cruise.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Keep these things in mind as you plan:

-- your first day is lost to airport logistics, fatigue, and jetlag. It will take you about 2 hours to get from your seat on the plane to the hotel if everything goes smoothly -- immigration, baggage claim, customs, taxi, etc. You'll have a few hours to explore, but certainly not a whole day, and you'll be struggling to stay awake much past 9-10 pm.

-- your last day is lost to airport logistics -- for US-bound flights, you need to be in the check-in line (not paying the cab driver or stepping off the train) three hours before departure. It's not a guarantee, but security can take an enormous amount of time. (I realize this is less applicable in your particular situation, but file it for reference)

-- you will lose at least a half a day every time you change cities -- packing up, checking out, getting to the station or airport, check-in time if applicable, the journey itself, then getting to the new hotel.

-- it takes two nights in one location to have one full day of sightseeing.

So the answer to your question is yes -- 5 stops in 12 days is too much -- by about 3 stops.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 07:07
Queensland
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Sunshine I don't think the OP is going to have immigration etc on the way into Paris, they say they are coming from London. Also as they are leaving Venice on a cruise, there is no airport at the end of this 12 days.

I agree with everyone, way too many places. Why go to Geneva for just one night? 2 nights in Rome? Just not enough time!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is our 12 Day 5 stop honeymoon too much in Europe?

Yes, they will have immigration coming into Paris -- because London is not the Schengen area, while Paris IS Schengen area....so passport checks are required, just like arriving from any other non-EU destination. We'll assume that with a "home" of Australia on the OPs profile, that they are indeed traveling on an Australian -- non-EU -- passport.

The only difference will be that customs is done at St Pancras if you take the Eurostar, and in Paris if you fly.

and I mentioned that I realize that the departure day doesn't apply to this particular scenario -- but it still matter for the day they DO depart.