We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giverny

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Giverny

What is the best way to travel to Giverny from Champs-Elysees?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giverny

You go to the Gare St-Lazare and take the train to Vernon.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Giverny

Thank you!!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giverny

It's a good idea to purchase your train tickets ahead of time, especially if you'll be taking an early morning train (which you should). Otherwise, you could find yourself in a very long, slow moving, ticket line, and have to wait for the next train.

There are detailed transit instructions on the official Giverny website, including the bus schedule for the shuttle that runs between the Vernon station and Giverny.

You can also purchase advance tickets to Monet's Home and Gardens on the website (which precludes waiting in line for tickets once there).

Most, including myself, recommend the train from Gare St-Lazare which gets you to Vernon, then Monet's Home and Gardens, right around opening time, for a much more peaceful visit - before the hoards of tourists and motor coaches arrive.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giverny

I agree with djkbooks 100%.

My wife and I did exactly that. We had our tickets in hand and took the earliest train to Vernon. We rented bicycles at the cafe right across from the station and rode to Giverny.

I don't think anyone in the town was even up when we arrived. We found La Musardiere and had a wonderful croissant and coffee while we waited for everything to open.

There is a combo ticket that includes the Marmottan-Monet and the Gardens but the savings are roughly 1.50e and only make sense if you are seeing both.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,521 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giverny

we missed the train and went the next day because the line took over an hour when we attempted our Giverny visit

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giverny

do keep in mind that you can buy your tickets at any time, from any SNCF station or boutique anywhere in Paris (or in France, for that matter)

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Giverny

If you are going to take the bus (which meets every train) from Vernon to Giverny, don't dawdle when you get off the train. The bus will leave about 10 minutes after the train arrives with or without you. Check the returning bus schedule from Giverny to Vernon because if you miss it, you will have long wait and have to take a later train back to Paris.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giverny

We are interested in this day trip from Paris to Giverny as follows -- we will be in Paris the last 2 weeks of Juin. On a Wednesday, leave Paris via train 6:11 am. to Vernon, Arrive 7am, find a cafe for breakfast, then rent bikes & bike to Giverny. See the gardens at Giverny Back to the train station by noon and catch the 12:49 train from Giverny to Rouen. Arrives at 1:37pm. See the cathedral and catch an early dinner. Then train from rouen back to Paris at 6pm. I have researched the train times on

http://www.voyages-sncf.com

A few questions: I can only find a train that leaves at 6:11am -- which is pretty early, was hoping for one leaving around 8. Are there other websites to check schedlules? If this is all that is available, we may still do it.

can I book the tickets now from the US? do they have a will-call window to pick up the tickets

I'm afraid the reservations will book up by the time we get there.

Has anyone done this trip or booked the train tickets ahead of time (ie from the states)?

Any suggestions for a cafe in Vernon or Rouen for breakfast & dinner?

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giverny

Karen T, I believe that if you use this site, you'll have better luck with your schedule. Use Antartic as the ticket collection country. Yes, that's right. Do not use the U.S.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

The following link provides step-by-step instructions for ordering tickets. It will also provide information on picking up your tickets. In some cases, it's possible to print a ticket online.

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Sorry, no suggestions for where to eat. I hope that you enjoy your trip.

MrsJAS

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giverny

Thanks for the English website Mrs JAS..so much easier than trying to go between the French version and Google Translate. As you can probably tell, this is our first visit overseas so I am quite a newbie at all of this! I am brushing up on my French before our trip but booking tickets in a foreign language is a bit unnerving! The E ticket is perfect. Why do you recommend using Antartica, though, that is interesting?