We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

Hi everyone ~

As both a contributor and a poster of questions, I know we all like details before we can comment or make suggestions so here goes: 3d trip, already did the touristy stuff so looking for a more "live like a Parisian" experience this time; loved our apt. rental experience on Rue Vieille du Temple in Marais but looking for a different location; and need an elevator or ground floor because we're getting a little long in the tooth for a lot of steps. Ideally, there would be some good restaurants within a short walk of the apartment and a Metro within a few blocks.

Here's what we've narrowed it down to:

http://www.vrbo.com/49273

http://www.vrbo.com/226084

http://www.vrbo.com/397988

and a home away option

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p862320a

I know I can count on Trip Advisors to give their honest and informed opinions ~ we're can't wait to hear what you have to say.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 23:22
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

One of them has no reviews. The one in the 11th doesn't mention which floor it's on or if there's an elevator (unless I missed it).The rue de Lappe can be a bit of a party street. There are a lot of bars.

I really like the one in the 3rd as well as the area it's in.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

Your first listing is lovely and has way more reviews - and if it's still available while you're pondering, I'd snap that one up (we just went through two weeks of trying to track down VRBO owners/managers and losing out to other renters as we were doing it, but I don't know your dates). We started looking in December for May - and had to switch to June. But if that one is available, it's a wonderful neighborhood that meets your stated needs.

The third one has no reviews, which puts me off.

And although we spent more time in the Bastille area last trip than on any other, I have to say I'm partial to LeMarais (and that first place is gorgeous - hardly any stairs, either).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

No 3 - without a doubt. I haven't looked at the streets/areas, just the apartments. This seems spacious, lovely big windows, balcony. Goodsized kitchen

No 1 is absolutely gorgeous IF ONLY it wasn't a studio. I can't stand my bed being in my loungeroom!

No 2 seems OK

No 4 would be OK for one person. The "kitchen" is in the loungeroom, and the table is tiny. In fact, the whole place is tiny

Edited: 06 March 2013, 00:03
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

I'd rather stay in a place that has reviews, but that's just me - now you have to decide! We're used to the studio style apartments in Paris, so the bed in the living area doesn't bother us - but these are things that only Polly can decide!

The location on #3 is nice, though.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
275 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

I've looked at 1 several times. Great location and love the fact that you have a little garden. Definitely my first choice. Then number 3, shame there are no reviews but I like the location and the terrace. No 2 is ok and I don't like no 4, looks pokey.

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
678 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

I must admit that any description that uses the word amalgam is a winner in my book, but I do like the first one very much. It doesn't get as much light as the rest but it is very charming. And I like the location--a more quiet side of the Marais but only minutes from all the action. We stayed on Rue des Haudriettes (near corner with rue des Archives) last summer and really liked the area. There are many wonderful restaurants nearby. The owners of our apartment send us a long list of suggested restaurants that I can forward you if you PM me.

Otherwise I also like the 3rd one, but no reviews is big red flag for me.

Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

Just bookmarked the first three as possibles for us.

Not 4, it is tiny and there really is very little living space.

3 is very spacious and light and might get my vote for a new area to stay in Paris, but it is a bit out of the way. However, close to Canal St martin which is full of lovely places and is really developing as an "in" area.

2 is quite lovely, again light and spacious and with a wonderful looking shower.

The cottage one is cute and I could stay there, despite it being a studio

Overall, 2 or 3. Personally I would choose 3

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

Thanks to all of you for your "due diligence" on the properties we've been considering. It's so helpful to have other opinions and insights ~ you noticed things that slipped past me and I'm very grateful for the time and energy you put into your responses.

I'm going to get in touch with the owners of two of the properties immediately as I don't want to find that the best places have been rented out from under me.

Again, thank you. You've never let me down ~ I hope someday I can return the favor.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

Have rented an apt next door to #1, that overlooked that lovely old wall...though small, it will be very quiet and appears to have everything you need. You are very close to Metro St Paul, which is very convenient. Loads of interesting places to eat and shop nearby, but the street here is quiet.

The apt on Canal St Martin is interesting, but could be noisy, given the fact that it is on the 1st floor - depends on what's downstairs, as well as your level of tolerance. Lots to do in this neighborhood, but it tends to be "lively" at night and on weekends.

The others are OK, but neighborhoods might not be what you are looking for.. All praises due to the last entry, featuring organic everything...but frankly, the kitchen is cute but probably not functional - especially if you plan to cook a lot.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Down to 4 apartments ~ HELP, please

I love No 1 ... looks charming. The whole place looks lovely ... and a bathtub ... nice little kitchen too. I have bookmarked it myself.