We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris at night

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Paris at night

I'm getting bogged down with the logistics of seeing Paris at night. My initial plan was to book tickets for the Eiffel tower for 9pm, stay until it was dark so 10pm, and then take a night time cruise of the Seine. We're travelling mid July and this was planned for our last night, with the ability to sleep in the next morning. The problem? I'm doing this because I think the kids would love it but this time of year, dark is actually way past their bedtime. While they can stay up til 9pm no problem, I'm thinking my two younger children (ages 5 and 7) will have a hard time getting to bed at 11pm.... and who am I kidding, my little guy will likely sleep through the boat ride teh same as he slept through the fireworks at Disney World. Realistically, we just can't do both night time events. I'm even questioning if we should do either of them.

If I have to choose between Eiffel Tower at night or boat cruise at night, which should we choose?

Is the boat cruise as nice during the day (thinking the end of the trip so that the kids recognize the places we're passing)?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
493 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris at night

You might be overthinking this a bit, and I totally understand how that goes.

I think it will be exciting for the kids to go to the Eiffel Tower, and exciting for them afterwards when they can tell their friends about it, share it at school, etc. So I would make sure they are awake for this. You can buy your tickets ahead of time on the official website (check that out to see how far in advance you can purchase, and do it right away because you are going in high tourist season and things will book up fast.). I would just go with purchasing a convenient daytime hour--not too early and not too late.

As far as the Seine cruise, you can play that by ear. There are 3 cruise companies, and boats go out continuously. Maybe you can see what the kids' "clocks" really turn out to be. If they are naturally staying up later due to natural light and excitement, then you'll know you can try for a night cruise. But if they are "out" after dinner, then just go earlier.

You'd like to find the "ideal" time, of course, but reality will dictate, so just go with that.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris at night

Kids get very excited about this sort of thing, so there should be no problem. And if they fall asleep, no problem either because they will have at least 60 years to correct the problem.

And yes, the boat trip is great during the middle of the afternoon as well.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 20:34
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris at night

In July, the sunset is more around 10 o'clock at the begining of the month and 9:30 towards the end... so it will be even later before it gets dark.

dateandtime.info/citysunrisesunset.php…

For me, the Eiffel Tower at night is nice to look from outside.

The cruise is a nice way to finish the day and is not tiring. Seeing all the building light up is also quite nice and a bit "magical".

Having to choose between the two. I would choose the cruise event if there is a chance they might fall asleep :-)

Edited: 08 March 2013, 20:38
Lihue
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris at night

Why not a cruise that starts when it's still lighted and ends when it's dark? That's what a friend recommended to me and it was great.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris at night

I don't think the kids will care about daylight/dark to enjoy either the Eiffel Tower or a Seine cruise. Once in Paris, you'll likely find the kids good and ready for a normal bed time after being out and about all day. And, you really don't have to do both one then the other...

As mentioned, you can go on a Seine cruise any time. I'd recommend the Bateaux Mouches over the others because with those there's plenty of room to walk around and also better photo ops. On the smaller vessels, you are confined to your seats. Photo ops are obstructed by other passengers, the vessel/speakers, etc. (And, if the boat is full and there's a "lively" bunch you can't get away from them.)

While just about any time is a good time for a Seine cruise, probably not when the sun is directly overhead (and in your eyes and not optimal for photos).

If there's a spell of hot weather, a "break" for a Seine cruise is a great way to cool off and also relax for a while.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris at night

For example, if you were on a Bateaux Parisien cruise that finished at 10pm, it would be docking not just when the Eiffel Tower is lit up, but when it sparkles for 5 minutes on the hour.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris at night

Thanks everyone! I think what I'll do is leave the Seine nighttime cruise planned for our last night. Leaning towards Bateaxux Mouches. By then, I'll know how the kids are doing with timing. If they're not up for it, we won't do it. I'll plan the Eiffel Tower for the next day, our last day. We leave at 630pm so I'm thinking Eiffel Tower at 11am (after leisurely breakfast). Then maybe we can do a lunchtime picnic at the Champs de Mars and if by chance we didn't do the Seine cruise the night before, we can do it after lunch, before we head back to the hotel for our luggage.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris at night

Remember that you need to be AT the airport no later then 3 hours prior to your departure. CDG is often really busy. Plus the time you will need to go get your luggage and get to the airport. Don't plan to much for your last afternoon !

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris at night

We're actually not going to the airport. We have a train from Gare de Lyon going to Basel at, I think, 6:30pm. I was thinking that as long as we get our luggage from our hotel (Westin Vendome) by 430 we should be ok.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 01:25
10. Re: Paris at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:17