We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Newbie in Paris!

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Newbie in Paris!

My husband and I and our 15 year old daughter (in a wheelchair) are planning to visit Paris next year and we need help! Could anyone please recommend a clean, comfy hotel near the attractions that would be large enough so we can manouvre the wheelchair around and accommodate the three of us comfortably. Any suggestions on when is a good time to visit... we don't mind the cold but if there's a rainy season we would endeavour to avoid it. Thanking you all in advance! I forgot to mention too that like everyone else we are looking at value for money too!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
541 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
656 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$122.20*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Newbie in Paris!

Hi Search, TA member Mum61 recently recommended Hotel des Halles Louvre after her family of four stayed there, including a child in a wheelchair. You might try a post with a title like "Mum61 - advice on Hotel des Halles Louvre" in the hope that she is still monitoring the forum

www.123france.com/123/en/visit.php?id_hot=952

tripadvisor.com/…3462697

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Newbie in Paris!

<<if there's a rainy season >>

That would be January through December each year! But the good part is, that even though it may be pouring down, you're still in Paris!!

Paris is not an easy city to navigate for those with limited mobility, and you'll probably find that your best transportation option to be the city buses which do have special areas for wheelchairs, strollers, etc. You'll likely also find many people volunteering to help you with the wheelchair on stairs if necessary. Even though it will be difficult, you'll have a wonderful time sharing this beautiful city and experience with your family.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Newbie in Paris!

Thanks so much for your prompt replies! I have no doubts whatsoever that we will have a fabulous time wherever we stay and whatever we do in Paris. I have since read a few reviews and know that I need to narrow my search down to hotels that have an actual shower cubicle as opposed to one over a bath. Any ideas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Newbie in Paris!

Hi Search

This site has useful details of wheel chair access in Paris from a 2003 trip to Paris and they have updated it in the link immediately below after a 2005 visit

access-able.com/tales/Paris-access-2003.html

access-able.com/tales/paris-suppliment.html

The main site this report came from could also be useful to you -

http://access-able.com/graphical_index.html

This RATP page has information in French on accessibility of metro and RER stations but other posts suggest the buses are most user friendly for wheelchairs

www.ratp.info/informer/reseau_ferre.php

Likewise this site

http://www.infomobi.com/page5.php

I just noticed that the Hotel Hospitel at the Hotel Dieu hospital opposite Notre Dame has rooms that fit up to 3 people and 2 of the 14 rooms are especially adapted for the disabled

www.hotel-hospitel.com/ang/prestation.htm

If you do a forum search for "wheelchair", you will find quite a few threads that have useful information.

5. Re: Help! Newbie in Paris!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 12:17