We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

Benicia, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

Please help!

In an upcoming visit to Paris, my husband and I plan to buy carnets instead of the Paris Visite to get around.

If I HOP ON and OFF a bus, for example, 4 times in one day, how many tickets will this be?

Will this bus bring me to most attraction sites such as the Eiffel Tower, Musee d'Orsay, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, etc.?

Is this "Hop-on Hop-off" bus a double-decker?

Is this the same as a city tour bus?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
118,108 Reviews
Paris, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
55,551 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,017 Reviews
Paris, France
1 Visit 4 You
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Ride'n'Smile
City Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Food Tours of Paris
Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

The carnet can be used only on ordinary bus services and the metro. The HoHo buses have their own tickets.

There are a number of different HoHo routes, with different companies and visiting different places.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,663 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

Yes, I think you are a bit confused about HOHO buses. They are run by private companies, they are not city buses, they circle routes that visit all main tourist sites. You purchase a one day or multi day pass, and after paying that one price can use it to hop on a off as many times as you like. I have used L'Open tour, they are double decker buses with open tops, a two day ticket is only a few euros more then a one day pass. You are given some earphones that you plug in and can listen to a simple basic taped tour commentary, they offer quite a few langauges. You can easily pay when you board the bus , no need to preorder or prepurchase a ticket.

A carnet is simply ten one way single use tickets, good for the regular buses or the metro. Each ticket is one ride, if you have to transfer lines on the metro that is ok, one ticket only. They are simply cheaper to buy that way then as singles. I think 10 tickets is about 13 euros now.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 07:10
Benicia, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

Thank you for the clarification!

So, I can use the carnet to get from point A to point B and use the HOHO bus for our city tour.

Are the HOHO buses marked ? Where can I catch them and how much do they cost?

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

The HO-HO buses are easily identifiable because they are brightly-coloured double-decker buses with their name all over them (ordinary city buses are single-deckers) The main one I can think of is L'Opentour but I think there is another one - anyway, they have websites which will show the ticket prices, routes and where the stops are. There is also one called Foxity which you can not get on and off, just do a full tour, but it is cheaper.

Benicia, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

Thanks again. I appreciate your help very much.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,229 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

L'Open Tour buses are green, Les Cars Rouges are (surprise!) red.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

If you're going to be using regular city buses and the métro, you should familiarize yourself ahead of time with www.ratp.fr

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

Here are some links for the hop on hop of buses. Click on these and they will tell you all you want to know.

www.carsrouges.com/…

www.parislopentour.com/paris-accueil.php…

Denise

Love from England

Edited: 10 March 2013, 18:41
Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Australia
Level Contributor
454 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

We are heading to paris next month and wondered whether you save much by buying the HOHO bus ticket online before getting there, or if it is the same price roughly. We thought we'd get the 2 day ticket as not much more than the one day. Thanks.

10. Re: Please Help - Carnet and the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:16