We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do around Notre Dame

Victoria
Level Contributor
129 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
What to do around Notre Dame

Now that I have Notre Dame sorted how do we fill in the rest of our day? We did a 48 hour hop on hop off tour last time we were in Paris and saw the main tourist attractions what is close by Notre Dame we could visit, I'm thinking a Seine river cruise but weather might be an issue mid March? Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

Get hold of one of the inexpensive little guide books on Paris, such as DK "Top Ten Paris" or Lonely Planet "Paris Experience". This will help you to choose from the many hundreds of sights worth seeing.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

I have just written a long post on another thread about the Ille de Cite and Ille st Louis where Notre Dame is situated. I will cut and post it here for you.

>> "On the Ile de Cite and Ile St Louis you could spend a whole day exploring. Other than Notre Dame ( opens at 0800h) and St Chapelle there is .... Square de Vert Galant and Place Dauphine at the tip of Ile de Cite with the statue of the Duphine. The Vendetts de Pont Neuf cruises go from this point, so there is nothing to stop you taking a Seine cruise then.

You can get duel tickets for St Chapelle and the Conciergerie a few doors away. Which I found interesting, all about the guillotine and the revolution. This also shortens the queueing time for St Chapelle.

Children often find climbing the Towers of Notre Dame fun and interesting and of course there is the cathedral its'self, There are also some underground relics in front of Notre Dame. Crypt Archoelogique, which are on the museum pass.

At the side of Notre Dame is the Square Jean XX111. Often there are things going on there like band concerts or art displays. Then there is the very moving Memorial des Martyrs de Deportation, a tribute to all the French people who were deported by the Nazis in WW2.

The bridge over to the Ille St Louis also often has performers and the quaint Ille St Louis is full of little shops and cafes ( albeit expensive!)

When I visited Paris a couple of weeks ago in February, the queues at the Chagal exhibition at the Luxembourg were round the block, so in July, a much busier tourist time I would imagine you would need to book if you can or allow more time. .

It probably takes around 15-20 minutes to walk from Ile St louis to Luxembourg. The times of the marroinette shows are on this link,. Not yet published for July. but seem to be 1530 and 1700. Again check beforehand as they seem to only be on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday.

marionnettesduluxembourg.fr/programmes.html

However a late afternoon stroll in the Jardins de Luxembourg can still be interesting as there will be people lounging about, people playing boules and chess also it is a just a very beautiful place."<<

Denise

love from England

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

While you're in Notre Dame square, look for the point zero market. Distances from Paris are measured from this spot.

frenchfriends.info/travel-paris/visit-cathed…

Be sure to walk around Notre Dame to the back to see the flying buttresses.

MrsJAS

Victoria
Level Contributor
129 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

Thank you both so much for your replies...the information will help me plan our day so we can get the maximum sight seeing in 😃😃

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

I meant to say point zero markeR, not market. I wouldn't want to send you on a wild goose chase, looking for a market place.

MrsJAS

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

The Jewish Departure Memorial (not sure if I have the correct name)behind Notre Dame, near the walking bridge to Ile St Louis is a spot you might want to include in the area - It takes only a few moments and is quite moving-

jhgrady

7. Re: What to do around Notre Dame

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 04:17