We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

Hi, I understand our tour drop us off at Lafayette and then it is free time on our own,. I understand Lafayette is mainly brand name shopping which we are not into( but please correct me if there are more "reasonably priced" shopping there ( eg equivalent to Macy , Ross in US) . If not shopping, what can we do around there( hopefully walking distance, because we are a little bit afraid to go too

far away since we do not know the area)

Can someone tell me what district is Lafayette in ? Is there any family styled lunch place around there ? any patisserie or gelato within walking distance from there?

Another option I am thinking about is maybe we will take subway or train (?) to Versailles.If so, how involved is it . I saw a while back people post in TA that Versailles have a lot of rooms covered in canvas for some reason and they were not able to see a lot of things that should normally be displayed there. Does anyone know if that would be the same on 4/2/13 (tues) when we are there ? Versailles is only an option, if you have any better suggestion, please let me know

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

You mention having "free time on your own," but you don't say how much time you will have. How many hours are you planning?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

I really don't know. the itineray on our tour said afternoon free, so I presume at least 3 to 4 hours

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

I assume you are talking about Galleries Lafayette in Paris, which is in the 9th Arronissement, but there are lots of other stores in this chain in France.

Forget about Versailles, as it would take the better part of a day to get there, see the palace and get back.

If it is the main Galleries Lafayette you are visiting, there are many restaurants, bistros, and places you can get ice cream in the area.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

Do you mean Galleries Lafayette? If so you could spend a few hours visiting the Opera Garnier or heading down towards the Seine and visit the Louvre area.

Or you could get a Foxity bus tour (90 mins I believe) - their starting point is not far, near the Madeleine church.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

Are you planning on being there without a map? That is the first thing you need to get. Go to your local Barnes and Noble and in their travel section you can buy a Streetwise laminated map, or, there is always one in your guidebook.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

I take it you are on a tour? It would help if we know what else is on your itinerary so we're not sending you to places you're going to with your group the day before or day after.

Galleries Lafayette is very expensive, yes. You could go to BHV, or one of the bigger Monoprix (more affordable shopping).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

If your tour doesn't take you inside i'd vote opéra Garnier. Other than that it is easy to go to condorde and then musée de l'orangerie and/or jardin des tuileries if you feel like relaxing. Just ride either bus 24 or 94 from rue Tronchet bis place de la Concorde (3 stops).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

I agree with the suggestions to visit Opera Garnier. On most days they have a guided tour in English at 2:30pm.

Do you get picked back up in the same area later that day or will you have the rest of the day to yourselves? If you have the rest of the day, than there is no need to stay within walking distance. Do you have a guide book? If not, I recommend getting one and a map as already suggested.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

Hi, thanks everyone for your input. We are going to be dropped off at Galleries Lafayette. Our tour itineary include Louvre museum ( brief visit on our own), Montmartre Hill, optional River Seine cruise, Norte Dame,

champs elysses( outside only) , Arc de Triomphe( not going up the tower)

I did not see Opera Garnier, so I will check up on that . What is "Foxity bus", is that like a hop on, hop off bus that takes you to all the major tourist sites? I do not know about Musee de l'Orangerie or Jardn des Tuileries

( looks like from the name it is a museum ?) so I will check up on that .

with what is included in our tour, do you have any other suggestion for what we can do . I am pretty sure they will pick us up from Lafayette galeries again late afternoon/early evening. . So any suggestion for decent family style restaurant/bakeries/cafes/ pasteries/crepes place around there would be greatly appreciated. someone mention BHV, Monoprix, would you be kind enough to give me the address closest to Gallerie Lafayette because I am pretty sure if I google, there will be a lot of location for these stores . Since I do not know the area, I would not know which store is the closest to Lafayette. I would go to get a map ,but would not be able to do this till next week, l week before we leave.

Many many thanks for the help you have given me.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what can one do around Lafayette other than shopping

If you feel like walking, the musée de l'orangerie (which hosts Monet's nymphéas) is no more than 30 minutes away from galleries lafayette and you can even do somz jewlery window shopping as you walk through place Vendôme ;)

http://www.musee-orangerie.fr/

If the weather is nice you could eat a crêpe in the tuileries (a garden next to le Louvre). I read you don't have a guide yet; in the meantime you can use google maps. Its walking itineray is pretty accurate, although walking times may be a little optimistics !