We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Non-touristy"?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
"Non-touristy"?

I often notice people asking for recommendations of non-touristy places to go (usually restaurants) where they only want to see locals.

I guess this really isn't a specific question per se, but more of a discussion. If people recommend local hangouts, don't they then just become touristy?

And how do locals feel about this? If they have a neighbourhood place where they can escape the hordes of tourists who invade their city everyday, do their hearts sink a little bit when their local place then becomes infiltrated so to speak? Or is there no such thing as a truly non touristy place within central Paris?

I wonder what Rue Cler was like before Rick Steves. I haven't actually been there yet, but is it mainly tourists there now?

Personally, I don't mind going to a place that is maybe a mix of tourists and locals. Just as long as it's not a "tourist trap". But then we usually stay within the heart of central Paris, so there are bound to be other tourists at the restaurants.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Non-touristy"?

I for one have been crucified on TA for admitting that I *might* keep the names of a few really goodrestaurants to myself. We frequent several places where the food is great, the owners don't need to rely on TA for clientele, and would be ruined if the infamous TA sticker appeared in the window because I chose to share it on this forum. There, I've done it again.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Non-touristy"?

A few years ago I used to wander down Rue Cler before I knew it as Rick Steves' Rue Cler and to be honest I still think it's full of locals rather than tubby middle aged Yanks with their blue Europe Through the Back Door guidebooks. They may be there, but they are not very prominent.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Non-touristy"?

LOL Metromole. I won't crucify you - I'd probably do the same.

I think about places like Paris and Venice that have such large numbers of tourists. And Venice in particular where I think the day time visitors are the same number or maybe higher than the locals, if I were a local and had a quiet little treasure, I'd probably keep that to myself too.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Non-touristy"?

I assume most people are saying they don't want tourist traps - i.e. places so bad no local would ever eat there. I don't care if there are tourists near me. I just want to know the place is good enough/interesting enough to also attract French people.

5. Re: "Non-touristy"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2013, 20:38
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Non-touristy"?

I think DJKBooks' last paragraph is significant and I strongly agree with it. I don't mind where I eat, or eating with a mix of tourists and locals, so long as the tourists appreciate the restaurant and chef's intentions. That said, there are a couple of restaurants that I don't mention here much. I'm sorry if that offends some, but there it is.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Non-touristy"?

Well feel free to PM this tourist with suggestions if you ever feel you can trust me :-) I speak French well enough to get by, always order everyone their own plates and promise not to wear shorts, t-shirts or even my fit flops to a treasured secret :-) Heck, I didn't even bring shorts to Europe, and I'm pretty sure DH didn't either. Although I'm guilty of my favorite outfit being jeans and a plain (unembellished) black t-shirt, I can clean up ;-) And we understand that what is on the menu is what is on the menu - no asking for gluten free, hold the sauce, substitute the mushrooms. It's order the item or don't order the item.

My 12 year old specifically wants more pigeon.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 23:36
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Non-touristy"?

Difficult to find places in Paris where tourists won't end up at some point. Persoanlly I'm happy when I see visitors enjoying restaurants that are not considered "touristy". We're all "tourists" ourselves at some point!

That's why it's important for me to write reviews as well as contributing to the forum.

Reviews stay and , in the end , are more useful.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Non-touristy"?

Seanbee, thank you for all your reviews ..for taking the time and sharing.

As to rue Cler -- I did see tourists, speaking different languages, not just English, also saw quite a few locals so not all is lost. One place/terrace in particular was filled with young French folk, on a Saturday evening.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Non-touristy"?

Why do tourists often have such scorn for other tourists?