We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

Hi all. You've been such a great help. I had my itinerary for 4.5 days all done and then spoke with hubbie and we've added a day! Yay! Only thing is, I now need to rework the plan. I didn't want to add anything, just make it more enjoyable by slowing down a bit. We were scheduled to arrive on July 14th so that was also messing with my planning. We're now arriving by train (no jetlag) on Sat July 13th. So I have a full extra day. I did major reworking though. Trying to spread things out a bit (especially neighbourhood exploration) but it still looks messy. Can you have a look?

We're staying at Westin Vendome, across from Les Tuileries. We're a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids ages 5, 7 and 10. Here's what I have so far.

Day 1 Saturday

Arrive by train at Gare de Lyon at 1130am

check in or at least leave luggage at hotel

Get lunch close by hotel

Metro to Trocodero

Visit Eiffel Tower from below (because the kids we have to see this first)

Explore Champs de Mars

Metro to Arc de Triomphe/ go to top of Arc

Walk down Champs Elysee (visit LaDuree and Renault) [we don't plan to make a lot of stops and may take metro or bus half way down if kids are tired]

Turn at Petit Palais

See Pont Alexandre III

Walk along Seine until Pont Concorde

Visit Place de la Concorde

Dinner close by

Jardins Tuileries for fete d’été activities

[what’s the chance we’ll be back at hotel by 8pm?]

Day 2 Sunday 14th [Jour de la Fete Nationale]

Leisurely breakfast

Jardins Tuileries (want to be outside for the flyover – it was at 10:40am in 2012)

Opera Garnier (open 10-430)(call first to ensure open) [my son wants to see Chagall's ceiling. Not doing a tour.]

Get metro from Opera to St Michel

Notre Dame (only do if no line for towers because of holiday; if line, do cathedral and towers tomorrow)

St Chapelle

Ile St Louis (will everything be open July 14th?)

Marionnettes at Luxembourg Gardens (need to be there by 230pm for 3pm marionettes)

Wander gardens (boats, etc.)

7pmish Dinner – en route back to hotel … which neighbourhood would be best?

Would like to be back at hotel by 830pm

Day 3 Monday 15th

Notre Dame (if didn’t do yesterday)

Cross Seine from Ile St Louis towards Marais

Pompidou (at least just go up escalators… maybe visit for an hour or so - this wasn't on our last plan but it looked like I could fit it in)

Explore Le Marais

Wander back to hotel. Back by 8pm

[I'm not really liking this day. Not sure what to do if we already saw Notre Dame yesterday. Schedule seems really light.

Day 4 Tuesday 16th

Versailles (full day private tour)

Opera Garnier (if didn’t do yet)(open til530)

Galleries Lafayettes (visit the top/stay for dinner)

Day 5 Wednesday 17th

930 Louvre (3hr private tour)

Tuileries gardens for quick lunch

Explore St Germaine des Pres (Upper)

Luxembourg Gardens (if didn’t do already)(be there by 230 for 3pm marionettes)

Wander Gardens (boats, etc if didn’t aleady do)

Explore Latin Quarter

- Rue Vavin (kids stuff)

-Walk past Sorbonne and Pantheon

Explore St Germaine des Pres (Lower, closer to Ile de la Cite)

Either:

615 head to dinner near Eiffel Tower (Rue St Dominique for 7pm)

920pm Seine tour at night (Bateaux Mouches- Pont Alma)

Or :

7pm Dinner St Germaine area or Ile de la Cite or Ile St Louis

945 Vedettes du Pont Neuf ride

Walk back via Pont des Arts

Day 6 Thursday 18th

Late relaxed breakfast at Angelinas

Leave 10am for Trocodero by metro

11am Eiffel tower (go to top and explore. Plan to prebook tickets)

Noon – picnic on Champs de Mars (get from cart probably)

[Can do Bateau Mouches tour if didn’t do it last night for some reason]

Rodin Gardens

Musee Orangerie if didn’t do earlier [can you see a place to neatly put this in earlier in our trip? I really want to see it and would prefer to leave the last day, other than ET, for things we want to revisit or to simply wander]

tour until 5pm when we get luggage and go to Gare de Lyon for 630pm departure

I know its long so thanks so much for reading so far. I'd love any advice or suggestions you may have.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

Musée L'Orangerie (sp?) is in Tuileries gardens and shouldn't be missed. I said something about Monet that I later regretted on another thread (he is one of my idols, and L'Orangerie is what finally made me realize his status - I just found it to be SO much more of a wonderful experience than any other museum exhibiting his work, that I wouldn't add Musée Marmottan to anyone's tour list unless they'd seen a lot of other art in Paris).

You've got a lot of "if haven't seen yets" and you will surely not get to all of them - but you will decide as you go through Paris

In Latin Quarter, Eglise Saint-Severin offers some of the best gargoyles and flying buttresses you'll ever see (and you don't have to climb stairs to see those gargoyles; it's on a touristy street - poor Séverin was a hermit, I think). The kids will like peeking into the courtyard of Musée Cluny, as it looks like a fairy tale castle. Eglise St Étienne-du-Mont is worth peeking inside, it's so soothing and has the last remaining stone latticework screen (rood?) in Paris (and one of the last in the world, it's a real window into the beauty of the past).

These are all quickies to enliven your step (outside Pantheon take a look at those incredibly narrow apartment buildings - if that's what they are - really makes a great snapshot; that whole area is filled with little scenic surprises).

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,148 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

There are so many either/ors that the only thing I could pick our was dinner on day 5. I think there are more and better places on the Ile st Louis than the Ile de la Cite.

Pjk

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

You have some young kids. Paris is a fabulous walking city, but those little legs will get tired and it will be hectic at some of these sites especially in July. It can be exhausting. Why don't you take your kids on a river boat ride? They are fun at night and you can the EF all aglow up close. You can relax for a while and see some sites from the river. The kids would probably like it. You can also do a hop-on hop off bus ride through the city when you first get there and you'll be able to get off and on whenever the mood strikes and get a feel for distance, etc.

Also, I would leave a day open with no itinerary. Just let Paris do its thing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

Ooops, sorry missed the Vedettes du Pont Neuf ride in your itinerary. What a great idea :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

Another thought for you.....Places des Vosges (I don't see that one listed) in Le Marais would be a great place for everyone. You can sit and watch your kids play and admire the beautiful surroundings. It's an elegant very old square. Every time I went, there were tons of kids playing, sometimes live music, and just a nice place to be. You could tour Victor Hugo's apartment which is free. There are lots of restos around.

Do you know about the "Paris Plages" in July and August? They turn the banks of the Seine into beaches.Take a look:

paris.fr/english/visit/highlights/paris-plag…

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

I'm sorry guys. I guess I really did include too many either ors. I didn't realize it would be so hard to read but when combined with teh double spacing to the text that came when I copied it from a Word document, it made it very hard to read. I've reposted below with many of them removed. I really do value your opinion and would love insight, especially as it relates to time constraints... I have a tendancy to overbook things and I'd like to have a realistic view as to whether what I'd like to do is actually possible. If not, I'll move an activity somewhere else or cut something that isn't as important to us.

Thanks Cookie Dartmouth for mentioning Eglise St Savorin and the courtyard for Musee Cluny. I hadn't heard how special these were before. It will definitely give us things to look for in the Latin Quarter. The kids will love them.

Thanks PJK for the guidance as to where to eat. We'll head to Ile St Louis instead.

Thanks to you too ShackVancouver. We do plan to visit Place des Vosges when we tour the Marais. I didn't know about the live music. Maybe we'll plan to have lunch or at least a snack in the area so we can sit and enjoy it for a bit.

Ok, so I'm hoping this won't come out double spaced but I can't guarantee it. I did delete many of the either ors though. Hopefully that helps.

Day 1 Saturday

Arrive by train at Gare de Lyon at 1130am

check in or at least leave luggage at hotel

Get lunch close by hotel

Metro to Trocodero

Visit Eiffel Tower from below (because the kids we have to see this first)

Explore Champs de Mars

Metro to Arc de Triomphe/ go to top of Arc

Walk down Champs Elysee (visit LaDuree and Renault) [we don't plan to make a lot of stops and may take metro or bus half way down if kids are tired]

Turn at Petit Palais

See Pont Alexandre III

Walk along Seine until Pont Concorde

Visit Place de la Concorde

Dinner close by

Jardins Tuileries for fete d’été activities

[what’s the chance we’ll be back at hotel by 8pm?]

Day 2 Sunday 14th [Jour de la Fete Nationale]

Leisurely breakfast

Jardins Tuileries (want to be outside for the flyover – it was at 10:40am in 2012)

Opera Garnier (open 10-430)(call first to ensure open) [my son wants to see Chagall's ceiling. Not doing a tour.]

Get metro from Opera to St Michel

Notre Dame (Tower and Cathedral)

St Chapelle

Ile St Louis (will everything be open July 14th?)

Marionnettes at Luxembourg Gardens (need to be there by 230pm for 3pm marionettes)

Wander gardens (boats, etc.)

7pmish Dinner – en route back to hotel … which neighbourhood would be best?

Would like to be back at hotel by 830pm

Day 3 Monday 15th

Walk to Marais via Ile St Louis

Pompidou (at least just go up escalators… maybe visit for an hour or so)

Explore Le Marais

Wander back to hotel. Back by 8pm

[I'm not really liking this day. It seems that its too light a schedule for so early in our trip. I'd light to save our last day for our lightest day. Any suggestions for other things that can easily happen this day instead of another day?]

Day 4 Tuesday 16th

Versailles (full day private tour)

Galleries Lafayettes (visit the top/stay for dinner)

Day 5 Wednesday 17th

930 Louvre (3hr private tour)

Tuileries gardens for quick lunch

Explore St Germaine des Pres (Upper)

Luxembourg Gardens (if didn’t do already)(be there by 230 for 3pm marionettes)

Wander Gardens (boats, etc if didn’t aleady do)

Explore Latin Quarter

- Rue Vavin (kids stuff)

-Walk past Sorbonne and Pantheon

- visit Eglise St Savorin/ visit courtyard for Musee Cluny

Explore St Germaine des Pres (Lower, closer to Ile de la Cite)

Either:

615 head to dinner near Eiffel Tower (Rue St Dominique for 7pm)

920pm Seine tour at night (Bateaux Mouches- Pont Alma)

Or :

7pm Dinner on Ile St Louis

945 Vedettes du Pont Neuf ride

Walk back via Pont des Arts

Day 6 Thursday 18th

Late relaxed breakfast at Angelinas

Leave 10am for Trocodero by metro

11am Eiffel tower (go to top and explore. Plan to prebook tickets)

lunch picnic on Champs de Mars (get from cart probably)

Rodin Gardens

Musee Orangerie if didn’t do earlier [can you see a place to neatly put this in earlier in our trip? I really want to see it and would prefer to leave the last day, other than ET, for things we want to revisit or to simply wander]

tour until 5pm when we get luggage and go to Gare de Lyon for 630pm departure

I'd also like to fit in Musee D'Orsay (just impressionists) if possible.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

Well shoot. Still double spaced. I can't seem to fix it :-(

8. Re: We added a day! Reworked itinerary. Please help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 05:19