We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Hello everyone,

My hubby and I will be staying near Notre D. in mid-June and wondered if there are any really good places to eat nearby that will have great French food for the adults and more basic food (roasted chicken, steak, burgers, pizza, subs) for our teen son? Also it would be helpful if they have English menus or speak some English. Hope you can recommend some good places to eat that will make our visit special. Thanks!

Becca

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Well for dinner, most restaurants do not serve "subs". Chicken is common, steak is fairly common( but is ususallly cooked rare, and their idea of well done is likely closer to medium) pizza is usually available at many casual Italian places, as are pasta dishes etc..

Frankly he is a teen, he can eat or starve, I wouldn't worry too much, in fact( and I have travelled with kids and teens) I would give him 10 euros to get a sandwich from a bakery(would be similar to a sub) a pastry and a soda, or let him pick up a burger at McDonalds( there is one about a 10 minute walk up Boulevard St Michel from river) and you guys go and have a nice dinner while he wanders around or stays in hotel room. I let my 13 yr old go get some McDonalds a few times for a hamburger hit, its safe for them to walk around on their own so assuming your son is at least 13.

There are dozens and dozens of casual dinner type places in the bustling section of the Latin Quarter near you , places that will have roast chicken, pasta and pizzas so if you don't really care if you eat super well ( I mean these places are exactly fine dining) then you should all be able to find something, and in that area most places do have English menus, pretty common .

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

You will have no problem at all, and your teen will probably surprise you in his choices. Being out of one's country generally allows one to try unexpected items. Although your son has probably passed the age of "I bet you wouldn't dare to eat that" working on him, if no mention is made of such limitations, he will have the opportunity to surprise you.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Le Pré Verre on rue Thénard would be close and is a fairly safe bet. The cuisine is French -- fresh, tasty and nothing too complex, there will likely be some roast meat and a steak on menu. Can check out their website.

http://www.lepreverre.com/en/paris.html

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

There aren't "subs" in France. I had one fairly picky teen eater for a couple of years in Paris, and she got by ordering an omelette and a side of plain rice in innumerable restaurants (all of which were happy to accommodate her, even though I was cringing asking for special treatment).

Most of the things you mention are readily available on Parisian menus. I would absolutely not plan a meal around this child - just decide where you're going and let him figure out what he will or won't eat. Bet he'll find something. There's no benefit to be gained on a European trip trying to warp feeding yourselves around some picky kid. He's lucky to be there and won't starve.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Our kids always planned parts of our trips and we were happy to do things that they picked out; made for more interesting trips. We would never build travel around a near adult who still eats baby foods. I'm with the let him go get a sandwich crowd if he can't find something to eat on a typical bistrot or restaurant menu. There is plenty of mainstream food in Paris like steak and duck confit (crispy duck quarter with salad and sometimes fries). Menus are posted outside so people can check out options first. I am the pickiest eater in my family and I have never been to a restaurant where there wasn't something on the menu for me.

I know grown middle aged men in the US who still eat like toddlers. Someone should have stopped catering to this a few decades back.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Right, unless "some picky kid" happens to be your own :))

But I agree that this shouldn't be a problem in Paris and that sandwiches from bakeries can be a good option.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

<<Right, unless "some picky kid" happens to be your own :)) >>

Yup, a wonderful vision of a European trip - cranky starving teenager, frustrated cranky parents....

There are lots of pizza (italian style, and even Pizza Hut) in Paris, also there is Hardrock Cafe,KFC and McDonalds in case his palette needs a "break"...

I really like crepes (with savory fillings) - probably my favorite out of what traditional French cuisine has to offer. Plenty of roast chicken & steak options on menus though!

California
Level Contributor
6,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

I've had pretty good burgers at some fairly typical French restaurants (I don't seek them out especially, but a burger just sounds good sometimes!). You and your husband can be more adventurous at these restaurants and your son can stay "safe":

La Rose De France--24 Place Dauphine, Ile de la Cite; 01 43 54 10 12

Bistrot des Compères--16 Rue Charlemagne (Metro Pont Marie or St. Paul) 01 42 72 14 16

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Two important items to remember: You'll find lots of restaurants within walking distance of each other; the menus are posted outside the restaurants.

I'm sure that there's a translation app to help you with menu items.

I can understand about children who are picky eaters; however, I have no doubt that you'll find places to eat for the three of you more times than not.

Good luck!

MrsJAS

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Get a copy of "Eating and Drinking in Paris", which may provide some inspiration.

It also contains a food glossary.

I've found that Paris is one place where food is served so beautifully, you find what's being served (and enjoyed) all around you quite appealing, even before you find out what it is.

My husband is one who's eye goes primarily to boeuf...and he loves the composed salads. One day he ordered a salad with beef cheeks (and I, for once, said nothing) and he just loved it!