We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Hello everyone,

My hubby and I will be staying near Notre D. in mid-June and wondered if there are any really good places to eat nearby that will have great French food for the adults and more basic food (roasted chicken, steak, burgers, pizza, subs) for our teen son? Also it would be helpful if they have English menus or speak some English. Hope you can recommend some good places to eat that will make our visit special. Thanks!

Becca

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,646 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

the baguettes are usually pre-made -- but not to worry - -the ingredients are usually very fresh, and the sandwiches are generally delicious (more filling, fresher, probably healthier, and usually cheaper than McD)

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

Re : burger frites - I call 18€ pretty expensive! Would you pay $23 for a burger and fries in the US?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

<<while I wouldn't hesitate to send one of mine into the grocery alone in Paris at 13-14, I might not feel the same (nor might they) if we were in a country where we didn't speak the language and were unfamiliar with the local customs (because there are shopping customs, too -- reference buying a bunch of grapes or a hand of bananas in a French supermarket....).

We'll assume that the OP knows her kid well enough to make the decision of whether or not he's capable of shopping alone.>>

I was thinking the same thing! I guess I'm not as brilliant as many other people, but as a teenager, I once brought a shiny head of lettuce home as "cabbage" :-))))) (that was my only item to get haha)

Regarding these sandwiches...just be ready that it's basically a loaf of bread (aka a baguette), spread with either butter or mayonnaise, with one thin layer of ham and a few lettuce leaves. Personally, I would prefer a quiche, but it seems that I'm the minority on this one.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

I'd prefer a quiche too, but that's just personal preference. I remember the first baguette sandwich I tried in Paris was ham and cheese. And lo and behold, when I bit into it, found it had butter on it! I thought that was too weird until I kept chewing and realized how delicious it was. Ruined me for all other sandwiches...

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

I didn't think it was weird, because a true Russian sandwich without butter is like...not a sandwich....

But it's just not what I like :-))) Although it does remind me of childhood!

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

I just remembered: 3crows, if your son likes grilled cheese sandwiches, he should have no problem. A Croque-Monsieur is basically a grilled cheese-and-ham sandwich.

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/…

MrsJAS

P.S. I agree with Sunshine in post #47.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

3crows, I have a couple of children that are picky eaters, and a couple that are not picky eaters, so I understand your concern. When we travel, we have decided that the least stressful option is to let them eat what they are comfortable eating, and not to force anything new (although we always have that option available). At home it is a different story; we strongly encourage trying new things. But being in a different country with a different culture, surroundings and language is sometimes enough on its own, without forcing the food issue (depending on how picky your child actually is). That issue alone can make for a stressful and miserable concern for your child, and its just not worth it to force the issue sometimes. It's easy for adults to say what someone else's child should or should not be eating while visiting Paris, but your son is old enough to have his own likes and dislikes by now and those tastes should be respected.

Enjoy your trip!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

We were with our visiting friends yesterday, and they chose the restaurant at the foot of the bridge leading to Notre Dame, on Isle St Louis - "Flore - Something", I forget the name. The food was "meh", but pretty terrace, anyway. Next to us was an American couple with a boy of about 9 years old. Parents had salads, and the kid went to town with a big bowl full of escargots a l'ail - even used the tongs. It was good to see!

Picky eaters, people with sensitive stomachs and outright food allergies can have a difficult time in Paris, but they will have trouble wherever they must go out to eat. That said, there is always something to eat here, and no one will starve - kids seem to be particularly resilient, and may surprise you - and themselves!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

My kids were picky eaters when we moved to Paris. I told them that restaurants here did not do special orders so they'd have et what was available. They quickly found their own solutions.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,819 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Trip in June with a Picky Teen Eater....Help!

I don't know if restaurants where I live take special orders, that simply wasn't an option we presented to our child, ever.

On the other hand, I wouldn't try to reeducate a child while on holiday, I mean it is their holiday too so, unless they want to try something new, just leave them be.

Euromanic mentioned a Belgian place in the 5th, that makes fresh fries ..might be of interest.

parisbouge.com/mag/articles/de-clercq-une-fr…