We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
947 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Any experiences about visiting this synagogue for Saturday morning services, from either a religious or cultural point of view?

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Hi TA133 (I'm in Oregon too!)

In 2011 I went to La Grande Synagogue de Paris on a Tuesday--not for services but instead to see the Synagogue. They absolutely would not let me inside. They had guards on the outside. The had a bullet-proof small window on the inside through which I was allowed to talk to someone. They said no way could I go inside even though I am Jewish. However, perhaps you can get in to attend services on Shabbat.

If you find out any more information, would you please let me know because I'm going back to Paris and I would like to attend services here.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Did you go to their English website www.lavictoire.org/ ? There is a list of services offered, and the public is allowed to attend them.

As far as synagogues go, we lived near the one Guimard-designed one on rue Pavee, which is only open to the public on "les jours de patrimoine". This synagogue is very strict about allowing members only to attend. We have been invited to a wedding at the synagogue on rue des Tournelles, near Place des Vosges, and it was beautiful. There is almost always a wedding, bar/bat mitzvah or something going on here on Sundays - have a look if you are in the neighborhood, the congregation is very nice to foreigners.

It was explained to us that the synagogues are shut up tight due to the active possibility of terrorist attacks. Unfortunately, you will often see monuments, cemeteries, shops, etc defaced on a regular basis here. It's a very sad fact of life...

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Thanks so much pattyinparis. I have been inside the synagogue on Rue Pavee. It is an orthodox synagogue and they let me walk around and see it.

I've also been to services at Adath Shalom (Conservative) in the 15e and La Synagogue de Boulogne-Billancourt (Orthodox) in the 16e.

I didn't know about the synagogue near Place des Vosges. I will check it out on my upcoming visit.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

I went to High Holiday services at the Grand Synagogue many years ago. There were metal detectors and you got pat searched. The women sit up in the balcony and I had fun identifying the who's who. My favorite, though is Chasseloup (7th).

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Thanks phread. If I read the French Wikipedia correctly, Chasseloup is in the 15e. …wikipedia.org/wiki/Synagogue_Chasseloup-Lau…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
947 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Any opinions about which temple is the most architecturally splendid? I'll be in Paris for only one Shabbos. I'll be staying in the 7th, but am okay with using transportation.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

Neither one of these are very physically attractive: Adath Shalom (Conservative) in the 15e and La Synagogue de Boulogne-Billancourt (Orthodox) in the 16e.

La Grande Synagogue de Paris is huge but I haven't seen the inside. It is Byzantine--if you like that style of old architecture.

Are there any synagogues in Paris that have an art nouveau style?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

In Love, thanks, I always thought the boundary was the boul. Guess its a bit east.

The Art Nouveau synagogue is the Guimard one on rue Pavée, but the inside is nothing grand....

Victoire would have my vote for most architecturally impressive.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

We had occasion to pass the synagogue on rue des Tournelles near Place des Voges during a holiday in October a couple of years ago. It looked like an armed camp with uniformed and plainclothes police everywhere. Sad.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Grande Synagogue de Paris/Grande Synagogue de la Victoire

I've been to both the Grand Synagogue and the one on Pavee street as a visitor and I didn't have any problems. At the Grand Synagogue I was interviewed before they'd let me in and they asked me questions regarding my background and asked me to show my passport -- and I had to wait for a couple of hours, but it was worth it. It was a Kabbalat Shabbat service and it was really beautiful. At the Pavee St. synagogue I just saw the sign announcing the mincha/arvit times and walked in. I wasn't really asked any questions but I made a point of introducing myself once inside. While not as 'grand' as the synagoge on Victoire St, it's a little gem and the service was beautiful as well.