We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

Hello Travel Experts! I'm so grateful to all of you. I feel so much better prepared for our upcoming trip to Paris (and London) because of all of your wisdom/tips.

We are 3 couples taking the Eurostar from London to Paris on Monday, 5/6. We arrive in Paris at 12:45.

What is the most efficient way to get to the Westin Vendome? I'm planning to either get the Navigo (we are in Paris until Saturday, 5/11) or carnets of tix for the Metro/buses at St. Pancras if possible. Is the metro the best mode of transport? Or a bus? Or a taxi?

How much (approximately) would it cost for a taxi from Gare du Nord to the Westin, realizing that we would probably need 2 cabs for 6 people plus luggage. My hubby and I are doing only carryon bags, but I'm not sure about the rest of our traveling companions.

Thanks in advance for your input/help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,244 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

The most efficient would be by taxi, which would cost under €20. Maxi taxis are available. There is no convenient bus service, and travel by Metro would require a change of lines.

To obtain a Navigo Decouverte, you have to go to a Metro station with a staffed ticket office. The ones closest to your hotel are Madelaine and Louvre Rivoli. Each person obtaining a Navigo Decouverte needs a photo a bit smaller than a passport photo.

If you decide to go with carnets, I don't know why you would pay extra to get them at St Pancras when they are available at any Metro station.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

The point in paying the extra to buy tickets at St P rather than Gare du Nord is to avoid queuing. But if you are going to take a taxi to your hotel, you will have to queue for that anyway, and will not need transport tickets until later on.

The ratp website seems to recommend bus #42 but the nearest stop - Capucines-Caumartin - is not very close to rue Castiglione. In the OP's place, I would take the metro, but this will involve changing, so you are probably wiser to take a taxi and wait to buy your metro tickets later that day.

Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I would buy the metro tix at St. Pancras if we were advised to take the metro to our hotel. I thought from looking at the metro map that we would be changing lines. Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, thanks for the info on the taxis.

Just curious...how much extra are the tix at St. Pancras?

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

Not sure to be honest, how much extra they cost at St P; it is now 13.3 euros for a carnet of ten tickets t+ purchased in Paris; at St P, you will be quoted a price in £ so will have to do the conversion (at today's rate, £1 = approximately 1.19 euros). Even if you pay as much as 20 euros at St P, this may look a hefty mark-up in percentage terms, but for six people using one ticket each out of one carnet, the amount of extra money paid per person is negligible.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
557 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

We stayed at the Westin Vendome last year and took the metro to everywhere. If you decided to take the metro or bus, this journey planner is very useful, it gives the most up to date information including construction:

www.vianavigo.com/en/routes-district-maps/

The closest metro stop to Westin Vendome is TUILERIES! Have a great trip!

Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

Thanks for the tips! We are excited!

7. Re: travel from Gare du Nord to Westin Vendome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:16