We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you bring back from Paris?

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What did you bring back from Paris?

I'm terribly interested in what all of you brought back from Paris. Of course, the experience is the most important thing, as I found out in London. Since I couldn't bring back anything but one antique book, I took pics with my iPhone of books in museum shops so I could order them later here in the U.S. I brought back postcards, 2 bottles of perfume (1 Penhaligons, of course), some chutneys, silver teaspoons, a vintage brass compass, little else. My cousin brought back scarves, tea towels, and a pair of boots.

I am packing much lighter this year, with just a 24" spinner, but I intend to take an empty rucksack inside for dirty clothes to carry on and check my spinner on the way back to carry a bit of perfume -- Serge Lutens, likely. I'm going to hit the flea markets and vintage stores for a few trinkets. Probably bring back some fleur de sel for the boyfriend, who is quite the chef.

Any other suggestions? And is anything a bargain compared to the States?

Please tell me what you just HAD to bring back?

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

I've been trying to be better about souvenirs and get one really nice something for myself and then small gifts for others. From our last trip:

tea from Mariage Freres

tea towels

some toddler shirts from Galleries Lafayette

handbag from boutique in the Marais (the something special for me)

fleur de sel

chocolates

Okay, I confess, some of the other stuff was for me too! So hard to choose just one!

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

I always bring back books! I enjoy reading in French, and when I see all those paperbacks for a few euros each, which would cost me a HUGE mark-up to buy here, I always tend to go a bit mad and end up with too much to carry ;-)

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

A burning desire to return!

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

Small gift items from "Pylones", gift earrings, chocolates from Fauchon, small dolls dressed in French "antique" looking dresses for a couple of little collectors, key chains, gift evening bag, t-shirts, gift items from Giverney and quite a few other small items. But I did have a large checked bag.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

I always bring back a Paris calendar for the following year. That way I get to look at lovely pictures of Paris for a long time afterward. Packs flat/takes up no room. Perfect for light packers.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

Extra pounds.........

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

Mustards

Scarves

Earrings/rings from Gudule

Stationery items

Maps

Books

Patterned tights

Spices/herbs

Tiles

Kitchen trinkets from La Vaissellerie

But what did I just HAVE to bring back? LOL...a contract for a house in the Périgord (back when they could be had for a song).

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

Unfortunately, due in part to finances, I anticipate this will be my last trip to Paris for quite a while. Fortunately I went many years ago and saw many of the "touristy" attractions. Being older, I have a more focused itinerary for my brief 8-day stay.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

Hmmmm, can any houses be bought for a song? I was thinking about Brittany.......

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What did you bring back from Paris?

Remember to write two postcards from Paris. One, serrupticioisly to your SO and one to yourself, ideally late in the trip so that they arrive several days after you've returned.

+1 for tea

+1 for, especially, a small desk calendar.

Wine to save for a special occassion, like when you book your next trip.

Pjk

Edited: 29 March 2013, 22:07