We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to change Cash and not use ATM

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
taos, new mexico
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Need to change Cash and not use ATM

so i've gleaned the smartest thing to do for obtaining local currency is to use an ATM card. however, i have some cash i'd like to spend while in europe and so im hunting for the finest conversion i can get. should i do it in the states? in paris? where should i go? thank you!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to change Cash and not use ATM

Put oyur cash into your checking account before you leave home and take it out of an ATM with a debit card as needed. Exchange rates are not a bargain no matter where you do them.

jhgrady

Paris, France
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to change Cash and not use ATM

Hi Duirwaigh, i'm in paris now for some months.., just to suggest you to do it or in US or simply at the ATM, also French bank are doing it . schuss.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to change Cash and not use ATM

Yes, why would you not deposit your cash in the bank account with the ATM card?

Do check with your bank regarding withdrawal transaction fees and whether there's a currency conversion fee. But, even if your bank assesses both, that's still more economical than exchanging cash in Paris, where some resources are better than others and you can go quite wrong. There's just no point in running all over Paris shopping exchange rates. And, it's not the exchange rate that makes the difference, but the commission and fees and all that will be in French.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to change Cash and not use ATM

If you must change cash, indeed do shop around for the best rate because you will see incredible variations in the rate. With the arrival of the euro, 80% of the exchange offices in France closed, so it is best to go to areas where non-euro tourists arrive or spend a lot of time (Gare du Nord, Gare de l'Est, Champs Elysées, Opéra). When you change a large amount (say $300 or more) you can negotiate the rate significantly above the posted rate.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 18:48
5. Re: Need to change Cash and not use ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 05:16