We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

Paris
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

There was a bomb threat phoned in yesterday evening concerning the Eiffel Tower; all people were evacuated. This happens way too often. I have been wondering what happens to people who are, say, in the middle of their meal in one of the restaurants, or folks who have paid for tickets? Just curious.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

Nope. It happens an average of one time per year - twice last year, according to the news reports.

I seem to recall reading that tickets are refundable in the case of a threat, but not in the case of force majeure -- wind/rain/snow means no refunds, but a terrorist threat (real or not) will qualify for a refund.

Check the website for details.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

I am almost sure that it's tough luck for those who bought a ticket because there is no refund whatsoever no matter what the circumstances. At least in the case of closing due to severe weather so I think it would be the same.

For the restaurants however according to this old article clients don't pay the bill so it's a loss for the restaurants: …huffingtonpost.fr/article/2010/10/01/224501…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

We are having dinner in the Eiffel Tower in May at 58 Tour Eiffel, and we had to pre-pay for our meal. So it seems that in case of an evacuation, the guests are the ones getting ripped off. I'm assuming they wouldn't be refunding all the pre-paid meals that the guests don't get to finish.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

"So it seems that in case of an evacuation, the guests are the ones getting ripped off."

In case of a real bomb, everybody will get ripped off............

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

phone and ask ..and let us know please

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

when the d'Orsay staff went on strike we had just entered; we lost the value of our tickets. Don't know how the Eiffel Tower handles it, but I would not be optimistic.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

Restaurants in the Eiffel Tower and the Orsay - a national museum, are quite different so I wouldn't assume that.

And Eiffel Tower belongs to the city of Paris, again, not same as the Orsay Museum.

Edited: 31 March 2013, 15:55
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

I am pretty sure that they will offer an indemnity to anybody who presents their ticket or prepaid meal voucher with a formal letter. However, the indemnity might only be credit for a future visit, which will not be appropriate for people who consider this a "once in a lifetime" visit.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

here's the official T&C -- turns out I'd remembered correctly -- if it's force majeure (weather) there's no refunds - if it's anything else AND closes it for more than 2 hours, you can apply for a refund....maybe:

"In accordance with article L. 121-20-4 of the French Consumer Code, the Tickets are not subject to the right of withdrawal. Every Ticket purchase is definitive and may not give rise to retraction by the Customer.

Any Ticket purchased may not be either returned or refunded, even if it is lost, stolen or forgotten on the occasion of the visit. No duplicate copy may be delivered to the Customer.

SETE may have to restrict or cancel the Eiffel Tower visit.

The Customer may therefore obtain the total or partial refund of the Ticket price if admission to all or part of the Eiffel Tower is restricted for a period of more than two (2) consecutive hours for a reason other than a Force Majeure event (such as the closure of the floor booked on the visit date).

In this case, only the amount corresponding to the access limitation resulting from this restriction may give rise to a refund. For example, if admission to the 3rd floor is interrupted then only the amount corresponding to the additional ticket price for admission to the 3rd floor may give rise to a refund, the 1st and 2nd floors remaining open for visit.

A refund form is available on the Site and from the "Information" counter. The Customer should send this completed refund form, together with unused tickets, within a maximum period of one (1) month after the visit date. No request for refund shall be taken into account after this period.

No refund shall be made on the spot. No refund or exchange shall be made in the event of delays or of admission to the lift not being possible due to the Customer being late, or in the event of delays attributable to the monument's operation.

The Ticket holder may not make any claim nor request a refund or compensation if there is a Force Majeure event, such as unfavourable weather conditions (frost, wind, snow, etc) or a decision by the Public Authorities, disrupting the proper operation of the monument visit and leading, if necessary, to its total or partial closure."

…toureiffel.fr/ext/billetterie5/index.php… -- Article 5

Edited: 31 March 2013, 18:07
Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eiffel Tower evacuation--what happens?

From personal experience in 2010 you're asked if you'd like the remainder of your meal 'doggy bagged' in the event that you're still alive to eat it later. If you refuse the offer you're asked to leave as quickly as possible, whereas if you choose the take-out option you're given a complimentary glass of wine while you wait for your leftovers to be spooned into a foil container.