We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris with our 18 year old niece

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
604 reviews
Save Topic
Paris with our 18 year old niece

We have been to Paris before. Our niece has never traveled anywhere before. We plan on a week outside of Paris (Normandy and Val de Loire) with a rental car and then a week in Paris and staying in a rental flat near rue Montorgueil. We are considerably older than our niece.

We are looking for suggestions that an 18 year old gal would enjoy. She's bright (and wants to see some museums), a bit conservative (I doubt the sewers would appeal), and fairly normal for an American teen. We asked her to list things she wants to do in Paris so we have that list and it is a standard list of most everyone's favorites. I looked for threads on this subject on the Paris forum but they were usually rather vague with few real suggestions.

One item on her list was to the Opera and we will take her on a tour there. We secured tickets for the Friday fashion show at Galeries Lafayette. We'll probably take a Bateaux Mouches cruise on the Seine. Lots of walks to different neighborhoods and perhaps a walking tour or two (we found one that looks like it caters especially to younger people). Since she wants to visit some museums we are thinking about the Paris Museum Pass (but for how many days?). We don't want to overdose her on museums even though she suggested several but with the pass you can return to, for example, the Louvre for short visits and not get overwhelmed on one visit.

So, we are looking for suggestions of things that are likely to appeal to an 18 year old female. Music? Other fashion options? Walks? Shopping? And anything that you suggest.

Thanks much!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

My teen just went to the Palais de Tokyo and loved the current exhibit featuring artist Julio le Parc.

I took my 16 for lunch at Guy Savoy. Its expensive, but they have 100€ lunch for each adult and 16-18 yr olds are free. Very expensive, but worth knowing about, and a great experience if she's in to food.

She's legal to drink here. You may want to do a champagne tasting, or a cooking class.

Shopping, the rue du Commerce, not far from the Eiffel Tower, has lots of options for a teen's budget,

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

Well, for me personally,...

Yes, shopping!!! Le Quatre Temps mall at La Defense is great - and you get to see a modern part of Paris, and the Grande Arche. To me, it's a great half-day. Nice shopping near rue Montorgueil too, as all over Paris ;-)))

Bercy Village + Parc de Bercy. Start with the park, then have some snacks at the pedestrian only Bercy Village - great for people watching, very fashionable mix.

Towers of Notre Dame. Best views of Paris, in my opinion, worth the long lines.

Montmartre. Lots of great interesting boutiques, Salvador Dali museum, just overall gorgeous atmosphere.

Centre Georges Pompidou. Great museum, but I also love just hanging out on the plaza behind the museum and enjoying the activity.

18 yo can legally drink in France. How about a wine tasting, or a day trip to Reims to drink some champagne?

She might like to spend some of the days by herself and then joining you for dinner - that way she can find her own discoveries?

That's so cool that you're taking her to France!!!! On the way to Normandy, can I recommend you stop by Dinan and St. Malo? ;-)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

Well for me, ( and having taken my kids at a younger age) I would not discount museums ,, my 11 yr old loved them , as did my 13 yr old skateboarding son... they are not all boring and stuffy. I tried to visit one a day, then one "site" ... and in between just wandering around and enjoying ourselves.. one doesn't need to schedule every minute in Paris to get a lot out of their visit.

My kids loved the Louvre, Orsay, Invalids, and the Shoah Memorial( museum) , they also enjoyed all the regular stuff( Notre Dame, Arc, Eiffel Tower)

Personally seems like I would use her list and form trip around that a bit, if the purspose of the trip is to please her I mean.

A museum pass is not a bad idea if she likes musuems.. and a little research too, have you looked to see if there are any special exhibits on while in town, I was able to take my kids to a few , Yves St Laurent , and The Xian Terra Cotta Warriors , so google for special exhibits for trip duration, Check out whats happening at the Grand and Petit Palace, the Louvre( and other museums, look on their websites) and the Musee Arts Decoratifs .

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

"they have 100€ lunch for each adult and 16-18 yr olds are free"

Not anymore, now it's 110€ per person.

http://www.guysavoy.com

My daughter enjoyed a dinner boat cruise on charming Le Calife. The views are wonderful and food and service fine too. Be sure to check out the downstairs ..including tiny antique bathroom.

http://www.calife.com/english/index.html

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

I am also taking my niece to Paris this summer and one thing she expressed an interest in was a perfume making workshop, she is 12 but I think this would appeal to an 18 year old as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

I just took two 22 yr olds to Paris in January. I let them loose on Paris, one of them having been twice previously, but they shopped so much I could not believe. They loved the usual first-time monuments, but weren't interested in the museums at all, heathens that they are:)

I think the perfume making workshop sounds like fun, if she's into that.

She might also like a couple of the smaller museums that dot the city. Look in any good guidebook for them, but a couple of them are actually former residences of wealthy Parisians who left them to the city or the Louvre, in the case of the Nissim di Camondo. The Cognaqc-Jay is another. They're intimate examples of how wealthy Parisians lived in the 19th and early 20th century and I find them endlessly interesting. Your niece may too.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

I think the walking tours are great--she could even schedule some independently from you. The same thing with the Fat Tire bike tours--let her sign up for one or two and do them on her own. There is even a bike trip to Versailles.

Some museums have evening hours. The Pompidou is open almost every evening (until around 10, I think), the Louvre is open on Wed and Fri until 9:45, and the d'Orsay is open late on Thurs. So if you feel that you want to be "done" for the evening before she is, then she can easily have an evening museum visit while you take it easy or enjoy a dinner/cocktails on your own.

I'm not meaning to imply that you will need to split up, but the opportunities are there.

Have a great trip.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

OH, yes! There is the Haute Couture exhibit at the Hotel de Ville right now, clothing to die for!!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

A museum that she'll probably love is L'Orangerie, in the Jardin de Tuileries. It has Monet's Water lillies in it, as well as several other impressionists' work.

I'd also suggest having tea at Laduree. The Tea Salons are very old-fashioned and fancy, they definitely appealed to me as a teenager, and I still love them now, several years on. A similar place is Angelinas, just across from the Jardin de Tuileries. Like Laduree, very fancy old fashioned french decor. But, if you only go for tea (or hot chocolate at Angelinas) and dessert, you'll spend less money for the experience.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
604 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris with our 18 year old niece

I want to thank all the posters who supplied us with ideas for providing a good time for our niece while we are in Paris. Special thanks to Rasteriasha and phread (both also provided suggestions with messages) and Joan1. If anyone else has other ideas please add to this thread. We will definitely appreciate more ideas for an 18 year old young woman on a first trip to Paris and it will also help others taking teens to Paris in the future.