We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris for Christmas?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Paris for Christmas?

Would it be crazy to go to paris for Christmas? I thought it would be beautiful, I'm not sure about the weather though do you think it's too cold?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris for Christmas?

I would go in November or January instead. Frenzied shoppers and short days do not add up to a winning combination in my book. But that's just me.

new york
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris for Christmas?

The crazy shoppers wouldn't bother me I live in New York so either way I will be with crazy shoppers, I just heard the city is so beautiful all lot up for Christmas!!!

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris for Christmas?

I'm headed to London and Paris this year for Christmas and New Year's. And what's too cold? You're a New Yorker! :) Pack some boots and a warm jacket. Paris is so beautiful anyway, I doubt you'd notice the cold.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,957 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris for Christmas?

My friend and I have always wanted to visit Paris from just before Christmas until just after New years, and this year, 2013, we're going for it. We were watching various Facebook pages showing skating at the grand palais, lights here, there, and everywhere, and it made Paris then look great. We just were in Budapest for the beginning of January and were glad when it snowed. We brought boots and a heavy coat, and whenever we got chilled we'd stop for chestnuts and vin chauid.

Go for it.

Pjk

new york
Level Contributor
202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris for Christmas?

I have been there twice on Christmas and it was great. A lot of places were closed on Christmas Day, but it was just one day and there were a lot of restaurants that were open. It was actually a wonderfully peaceful day for strolling through parks. It was not terribly cold, similar to what we have here in New York. The rush of holiday shopping was great, I loved going to markets and watch the French shop, pick vegetables, fish, meats. There was nothing that we wanted to do that we did not get to do. The streets, especially Avenue des Champs Elysees were beautifully lit up, it was magical. Go, it will be really special.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris for Christmas?

Definitely go for it. On average, temps are a bit milder in Paris than NYC so you should not have a problem with the cold. The crowds of shoppers are no worse than at home so I wouldn't take that into consideration either. The Champs really does look beautiful lit up for the Holidays. The Christmas market there is fun to stroll through with some Vin chaud (though the holiday merchandise is a bit cheesy)

I know so many people who come to NYC for Christmas because it is so magical but if you're like me, you often take it for granted. It is a great experience to be somewhere that has a similar magic but you can actually appreciate it because you are not worried about dodging tourists while trying to get to work or run errands. :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris for Christmas?

Hi,

Christmas can be a wonderfull period to visit Paris.

How many days you will stay ?

Is it your first trip here in Paris ?

I try to start a new activity as a coach tourist for American people.

Why american ? only because i lived for two years in this US and i spend a wonderfull time.

It's TOTALLY free at the begining, it will help me to bild my offer.

We can converse on my new facebook page "Loic my friend in Paris" or by mail loicmyfriendinparis@gmail.com.

Oh by the way, my wife and i will be in NYC from may the 2 to the 8...

Regards.

Loic.

new york
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris for Christmas?

Thank you for all the great responses, I am definatley considering this trip for Christmas, I don't know what I was thinking about it being to cold. Loic have a great time in N.Y, I will actually be in Aruba that first week in May.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
563 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris for Christmas?

I love Paris at Christmas. And any other time of the year. The weather could be lousy, but that means more hours in cafes drinking coffee or wine and it makes two plus hour lunches easy! I've been during the holidays several times and will be there this year also.

There are Christmas markets and stores decorated for Christmas and delicious and beautifully decorated Buche(s) de Noel in the windows of patisseries (buy one if you're in an apartment). And, ice skating at the Hotel de Ville and candlelight concerts at small churches and chapels. Be sure to book Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners well ahead and plan to relax and enjoy them.

Good luck with your decision!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
839 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris for Christmas?

You thought right, it is beautiful at Christmas. The Champs élysées looks fantastic and the Christmas market is great. Weather may or may not be that cold but its usually warmer that NYC. It's more a question of being too wet rather than too cold.

The area around Galleries Lafayette, Opera, Blvd Haussmann does get very busy at weekends but I can only presume you are not going to spend your entire trip in that area.

A bit of the tourist trail but the Christmas village in La Defence was really good last year. I preferred that to the Christmas market on the champs élysées.