We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Versailles - Gardens only?

Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Versailles - Gardens only?

We plan to visit Versailles on a Sunday afternoon yes, I know it will be crazy busy, but it is really the only time it will work for us .... and we plan to be in that area on that Sunday. We are not uber-museum fans, would like to just walk the outdoor areas, gardens, fountains, etc .... When looking at the ticket site, I cannot see an option for doing that, other than than the Trianon option, but I don't think that includes the actual gardens near the Chateau. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Arboretum du bois de Vincennes
Gardens, Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Parc Kellermann
Gardens, Playgrounds, Parks
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Versailles - Gardens only?

The formal gardens are in the area directly behind the palace between there and the Grand Canal. You pay to visit this area on weekends and Tuesdays in high season when the fountains run and they play the music. The rest of the grounds can be visited freely except for The Hamlet and Petit Trianon, which have admission prices. Look at the château website for further details:

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage

FAQ's:

…chateauversailles.fr/prepare-my-visit-/sing…

Fountains and musical gardens:

…chateauversailles.fr/prepare-my-visit-/sing…

There is an interactive map on the website to further clarify the layout of the grounds.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Versailles - Gardens only?

In other words most of the estate is a free public park open to all, that's why you won't find tickets on the website.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Versailles - Gardens only?

Gardens and fountains? That will mean a charge on a Sunday. These charges started at Easter weekend. It was €8.50 last year, maybe a tad more this year and you just pay at the entrance, either at the Chateau or at the far side near the Grand Canal.

The grounds are free but I wouldn't refer to them as "gardens", more fields bordered with lines of trees. Free, but a long walk around from the palace.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Versailles - Gardens only?

The gardens are free when there's no music or fountains running, and the music and fountains are not worth what you pay to see them. It seems that the music and such run more and more often so that the state can charge money more and more frequently, but it's not cost-effective in my view.

When the gardens are free, you don't need tickets.

I prefer the gardens to the inside of the palace. When I visit the inside of the palace, I'm reminded that even kings didn't live very well in the 1700s. And being suffocated by tourists with no possibility of escape for 40 minutes or so is not an enjoyable experience.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Versailles - Gardens only?

Hi Euromanic!

Thank you for the info. I just wanted to ask, there are 2 tickets. One for the musical gardens and one for the the musical fountains. I don't understand the difference since I was under the impression that the fountains were inside the gardens... ??

6. Re: Versailles - Gardens only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:15