We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

We use a Park/Ride shuttle from NH to Logan (40 miles, $100 for two, round trip, always reliable). Van was waiting with one other passenger when we arrived at lot a bit early. No check-in line at Aer Lingus at Logan. Swiftly through security. Three hours to spare. Flight left a few minutes late and arrived in Dublin 20 minutes early. Efficient connection. Since only orange juice was served on plane, had time for a wonderful breakfast (Illy coffee, fabulous!) in Terminal 2 (scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, whole grain toasts, Irish butter). Very nice people all about. Great shopping opportunities (didn't buy anything).

Arrived at CDG Terminal 1 right on time (1:10 PM). We were seated next to exit door, so first (great ride on up and down people mover!) to passport control. Bags came out promptly. Brother arriving 2E from Dulles found us. No queue for taxi. Nearly no traffic (Sunday, don't recall a single red traffic light). Driver took us around Arc de Triomphe, Rond Point (beautiful flower beds!), over Pont Alexandre III, past Eglise du Dome, to blvd Montparnasse, to our Vacation in Paris apartment. Loved that route! 53 Euros plus 3 Euros for the bags. Paid him 60 Euros (thanked us profusely). (Because of all the one way streets, I had given him the address of the bank on the corner, and asked him if he could let us out at the bank. He seemed to be wondering about that...) Were inside apartments at 2:40 PM (90 minutes).

Inspected the apartments. Everything just fine! (We've stayed in them previously.) Correspondence with VIP advised local reps had been inside both recently and all was well maintained. Our last stay was September 2011, but it seemed we'd returned to our Paris "home" much sooner. Brought two ice trays, but there is quite the collection now, so plenty of ice!

Blue skies, sunny, 74 degrees! Just awesome. Relaxed on balcony a while, enjoying views of Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Eglise du Dome, etc., then headed out for a stroll around the neighborhood and to take care of some errands.

Refilled our Navigos Decouverte at Gare Montparnasse. Went from one Relay shop to another until we found Lebara SIMs (did receive free ones in the mail, more on that later). 9,50 with 7,50 credit. 5,00 when activated, 2,50 when topped up. 10% extra if you top up with "My Lebara". We were all able to activate our SIMs and register with My Lebara rather quickly. I added 20,00 to mine for internet. That isn't quite sorted out yet, but Customer Service is handling one step at a time, more in the morning, for (hopefully) successful connection. (All is new and set-up and settings are required depending on model of phone...) We were able to connect all our devices to the WiFi in the apartment instantly.

Chose a place with large terrace for salads, tartine, beer, coffee (hilarious waiter) and relaxed over all that for a couple of hours. Stopped in a convenience store for milk for coffee, water, juice (will stock up tomorrow when Monoprix is open).

Back at the apartments, enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching all light up as it got dark with crescent moon (should be full by the 25th) and a clear sky full of stars.

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

have a great stay. and thanks again for the restaurant rec!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

I'm jealous of your weather! We had a great trip a couple of weeks ago, but I wish it had been a little warmer. We didn't have any rain (or other precipitation) though, so I can't complain too much!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

I have been thinking that both Au Père Tranquille and Le Bon Pecheur have really been suffering from the construction. Then again, they went through it all when the original Halles were torn down, and benefited greatly when the Forum was built -- and they will benefit again when the Canopée is finally finished.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 18:14
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Perhaps. On the other hand, Pirouette, half a block away, has been booked solid since it opened. The area is a live spot in the evening, and I would think a crossroad at noon.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Les Halles has always been the most popular area in Paris since the 1970's for restaurants and nightlife. That's what makes me laugh when some of the Paris "experts" here insist that it must be avoided at all costs. I just wish that more tourists would listen to them.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Friday forecast high 54, low in 40's, rain here and there, very accurate (mostly drizzle).

Started with Chagall exhibition. (Advance tickets recommended.) Well worth a visit.

museeduluxembourg.fr/en/…

L’Epoque (transitioning to “Chez Julien”) for lunch, just off Place de la Contrascarpe. Excellent food, very low prices (positively amazing for the quality and presentation), charming place.

www.thefork.com/restaurant/l-epoque/10826

Strolled along the Seine to Place St-Michel and rue Saint Andre des Arts to a shop for a scarf I should have purchased the other day. Wandered rues de Seine, Buci, back to Odeon for a long rest at Danton (love the lamps inside and out).

At a large papeterie, found a new l'Indispensable fold-up bus map avec rues (with all the stops labelled and legend of Sundays, holidays, evenings) to replace my tattered copy, and the Fifth Edition of The Paris Mapguide (my favorite in addition to 3 Plans) to replace my well worn, very old, Second Edition. I picked up an extra of each if anyone is interested.

Attended Elio di Tanna, pianiste joue les Valses et Polonaises de Frederic Chopin, Eglise Saint Ephrem. Superb.

Dinner at La Ferrandaise. One of our favorite places, amazing (and very reasonably priced) as always. (See April menu...)

http://www.laferrandaise.com/

By 10 PM it was very chilly and breezy, so glad to be wearing wool slacks, cashmere sweater, silk underneath, raincoat. Comfortable all day and never too warm indoors. Polartec would have been a bit warmer.

Stopped at Le Rostand for coffee and nightcap.

If you’re seen “Paris je t’aime”, the VI segment (with Gena Rowlands, who wrote it, Ben Gazzara, and Gérard Depardieu, who played the bartender and directed) was filmed in the bar here.

Hopped on Bus 89 home.

News from Boston so distressing...

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

For those that live in Canada, "3 Plans" is available

ulyssesguides.com/catalogue/…product.html

Others, see

fodors.com/community/europe/le-petit-parisie…

Once in Paris, there are places that sell maps all over.

There was an enormous selection (including those I mentioned above) at Gilbert Juene on Place Saint-Michel.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 10:34
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Gilbert Jeune - yellow awnings all about.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Loving this

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: djkbooks in Paris April 14-28, 2013

Thanks for posting djk, I'm glad you're having a good time.

I prefer "Paris Pratique par arrondissement" (which is usually available in my local bookstore -- Renaud-Bray, here in Montreal) to "3 plans" ..but I know some swear by the "3 plans".

Did you get the audio guide at the Chagall exhib. and, if so, how was it?