We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums in June

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Museums in June

My wife and I will spend a week in Paris in June.

Anticipating that the weather will be nice, we plan to spend most of our time outdoors, walking the market streets, picnics in the parks, sipping coffee and wine in sidewalk cafe terraces, Seine cruises, etc ... However, we enjoy the Impressionist artists so we do want to visit some galleries and museums, just not into over-kill on the museum front. From what I have read here, I assume that Musee Orsay would be a "must-see" for Impressionism works? Will we get good coverage of Renoir, Monet, Manet, Modigliani et al at the Orsay, or would it be worth our time to also get to the Musee L'Orangerie? I had planned on getting to the Marmottan, until I heard that much of their collection is out on tour to Australia? Comments & suggestions appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums in June

If you only want to visit one, d'Orsay is definitely the one for Impressionism. It is open late on Thursdays so you can plan on visiting in the evening if you want to use your days elsewhere.

Others being "worth the time" is a personal decision but L'Orangerie is small and can be seen pretty quickly. Since it sounds like you are a Monet fan, you can always pop in just to see the Water Lily rooms. They are very impressive. I am still trying to find out what is going on with the Marmottan as well since the web site doesn't have much info.

One other you may want to keep in mind is the Musee Jacquemart Andre. There is a Eugene Boudin exhibit going on now through July.

Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums in June

Thanks Rachel, great suggestions!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums in June

The Marmottan has hundreds of Monet's paintings - lots not on display. Yes, we are getting some, but there will still be lots to see in Paris. Musee d'Orsay is a must, so is L'Orangerie.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums in June

you really will love the Orangerie. Monet designed the space for his art, so its an amazingly unique experience. Since you clearly like art and want to be out, I highly recommend the gardens at the Rodin museum. Its kind of the best of both worlds

ALSO, you're being very optimistic and it could very well rain everyday you are here so it would not be bad to have a rainy day list of museums you think you may be interested in, just in case.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums in June

Yes, it may or may not be nice out most of the time so you might want to pick a few more inside options. The Orangerie can be visited in about an hour and is very pretty and original. Orsay Museum can take up a few hours, has a great Impressionist collection and the space is lovely.

There is a temporary Marc Chagall exhibition at Musée du Luxembourg (in Luxembourg Garden) until July 21st, that might also be of interest.

museeduluxembourg.fr/en/…

Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums in June

Thanks to all for your suggestions, this is a great forum!

7. Re: Museums in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:18