We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early booking for TGV

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
334 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Early booking for TGV

I will be travelling from Paris to Poitiers towards the end of July (one way) and would like to know if there is any advantage to my booking early, like now. One fare came up at approximately 22.50. If I left it another few weeks or even got a ticket on the day of travel, would it be more expensive or a similar price?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
342 reviews
from US$60.86*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,256 reviews
from US$105.89*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
534 reviews
from US$43.82*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
666 reviews
from US$108.32*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early booking for TGV

As opposed to plane fares, train ticket prices (in a given class and refundable-status bracket) only go up in France as time goes by.

If you are sure about your dates, book ASAP to get the best rates.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 17:08
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
334 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early booking for TGV

Many thanks. Will be arriving T2 with Flybe. Do you know how long/far it is to the TGV station in T2? And is it straight onto the train with a ticket?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early booking for TGV

The TGV station is on the lowest level of Terminal 2 (I have no idea where Flybe arrives).

Depending upon the type of ticket you have, you can board the train directly. Some tickets need to be validated in one of the machines at the platform entrance.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
334 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early booking for TGV

Do you know which type of tickets need to be validated?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early booking for TGV

Any tickets that are for a particular train that is dated, numbered and with a seat reservation do not need to be validated as they can only be used on a particular train and date.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 22:50
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early booking for TGV

If you are arriving from UK, allow at least 3 hours to clear Passport Control, get your luggage, and get to the train. It may take less time, but discounted tickets are worthless if you miss the train.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early booking for TGV

>>Any tickets that are for a particular train that is dated, numbered and with a seat reservation do not need to be validated as they can only be used on a particular train and date.<<

Sorry, but this is not correct. The tickets issued in France (about the size of a traditional airline ticket) must all be validated, to prevent them being used and then having a refund claim. If the ticket has "a composter avant l'access au train", it must be stamped.

E-tickets that you print at home do not need to be stamped.

The rule in reply #5 is the one that applies in Italy.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early booking for TGV

Here's the information direct from TGV ... I presumed you would be buying a ticket on-line as you are in the UK. No where in the information from TGV does it mention validating "print at home tickets" or "E tickets" or "ticketless tickets" and as someone who caught a TGV just late last year we did not have to validate our tickets at all and you will find tickets printed at home don't even fit in the validating machines.

E-ticket service:

You can choose an e-ticket when you travel with TGV and Intercités in France. Do not forget to print your e-ticket before departure!

How does it work?

1) Make your reservation, select 'e-ticket service' and pay online after entering the full name and date of birth of each passenger. The e-ticket is personal and may not be used by anyone but the person travelling.

2) The e-ticket confirmation can be downloaded at any time before departure. Simply click to print out one ticket per passenger and per journey. You can reprint your e-ticket confirmation if you lose the original.

3) If the terms of your ticket allow, you can cancel your e-ticket directly online at any time before departure. You can also exchange or print your e-ticket confirmation at a ticket counter or a Self-Service Terminal in an SNCF station in France.

4) Finally, board the train with your e-ticket document (printed e-ticket confirmation or e-ticket compatible card). You may be required to present official ID (identity card or passport) to the ticket inspector.

Notice paragraph "4" it explains to you, direct from TGV how it actually works.

Anybody needing "up to date" information simply needs to check the web-site.

www.tgv-europe.com/en/train-ticket-withdrawal

Edited: 20 April 2013, 01:33
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early booking for TGV

Reply #8 confirms what I said in reply #7. All the material quoted from the tgv-europe web site relates to e-tickets that you print at home. The very first heading reads "E-ticket service". As I said, these tickets do not need validation.

However, if you buy or collect a ticket at a French train station, you will get a ticket about the size of an old-style airline boarding pass. This may be for a specified seat on a specified train, but it still needs to be stamped. See this scan of a ticket: www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ticket_0001.jpg

Even if you buy at home, e-tickets are not available for some journeys and tickets have to be collected from a ticket machine or a ticket office. These will need to be validated.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
334 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early booking for TGV

Will only have hand luggage so I presume the time you quoted will be much less?