We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

Hello! I am traveling to England on June 5th with my daughter, 17, and son, 13. We will be taking the Eurostar down to Paris for the week of June 18-25th. My daughter and I have been to Paris twice before but this will be my son's first visit and he's very excited. He's a WWII history buff and it's a dream of his to visit the Normandy beaches and I'm surprising him with a day trip there during our week in Paris.

Even though I've been to Paris before, our train experience is somewhat limited. We used the metro system a handful of times but I'm no expert. We're also going to Versailles on another day on this trip but that seems easy compared to what it will take logistically to get from the Luxembourg station on the B RER line to Bayeux, France.

I have done a little research on the Paris By Train site and I've found that we want to be on the 7:07 train departing St. Lazarus. I'm thinking we will take the Luxembourg RER to the Chatelet-Les Halles station where we will transfer to the metro line (dark purple, I think, on my metro guide) that will take us to St. Lazarus. Do I have the general plan right? How much time should we allow to get to St. Lazarus? I was thinking of catching the metro/RER train at Luxembourg at 6:00am. Would that give us adequate time to be ready and waiting for the 7:07 St. Lazarus train?

Obviously we don't want to miss our train so I want to make sure I'm planning this right. We will have metro tickets but will need to purchase our train tickets at the station I'm thinking unless I can do it ahead of time. The website quoted me a price of 61 Euros for a round trip for all three of us. Does that sound about right? We are paying more because we are traveling during rush hour.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on our travel plans. I greatly appreciate it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

The station you will leave from is called St-Lazare, not St Lazarus. Apart from that, your plans sound good.

I don't know where you got your price information ("the website" is very vague), but the normal adult price for Paris to Bayeux is €20. I think your 17-year-old will have to pay full price, so the cost will be €50 each way. There are no round-trip tickets in France.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

If you are in Paris a day or two before your planned trip to Bayeux, try to stop by any train station or SNCF ticket boutique to purchase your tickets. This way you won't have to deal with ticket purchase on the day of your trip and you can arrive at Gare St. Lazare at approximately 6:45 AM.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

You can buy your tickets on-line. I will be going to Normandy in early June and have already bought my tickets.

It was 15E each way so for the two of us, it was 60 E.

If you do a search of TA, you will find out exactly how to do this. The only great hint I got was when you are going to buy the ticket, and they ask you where you are from do not put USA...click Antarctica.

The USA moves you to another site.

I will look to see if I have more info, but after I bought the tickets, I erased the link.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

Thanks everyone! My computer died so I haven't been able to get back here.

First of all, looking closer I see that the station is most obviously Gare St-Lazare. How did I come up with St-Lazarus? Chalk it up to my guidebook-weary eyes, I guess!

It's really hard to do extensive research with a smartphone but I'm hoping to have my computer up and running again tonight. The website I got my figures from was the Paris By Train website. I'm pretty sure they asked whether the trip was one way or round trip before quoting the figure I gave. If I save money by buying the tickets in advance I certainly will do that.

Thanks again for your replies. I appreciate it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

The web site to use is www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which usually has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

If you have problems buying from tgv-europe, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which links directly to the SNCF ticketing system. It is only in French, but translate.google.com would probably allow you to follow it. www.loco2.com is a UK site, so there is a small conversion cost from € to £, but it is in English and has French prices.

6. Re: Train to Bayeux for Normandy D-Day Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 06:19