We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Book!!!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Good Book!!!

Hii!!

May you, please help me know, if there is any good books, which gives detailed analysis of art works in Louvre, Orsay and Orangerie ??

P.S : Well I love books with good pictures!!

Cheers!!!

Edited: 21 April 2013, 15:25
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Book!!!

The museums themselves will have books on these topics. Buy them at the gift shops before or after your visit.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Book!!!

DK Guidebooks has a great book on the Louvre. There are *no* books that give "detailed analysis" of all works in even L'Orangerie (by far the smallest of the three museums you mention). There aren't even many books that give *any* detailed analysis of a few paintings. We have 4 books just on Leonardo's works in the Louvre (one of them is 250 pages of analysis just on...you guessed it...Mona Lisa). We have another book on Saint Anne. We have two more books on Leonardo's works in the Louvre. We have three books on early Renaissance works in the Louvre (purchased from university library book sales and amazon.com's used book service).

You'll really have to narrow down. Beware of books like "Louvre: All the Paintings" (which a friend has and loves) because it is just what it says: pictures of all the paintings (with dates and painters - no analysis whatsoever).

A book like The Louvre Sculpture covers the history of the sculptures (and costs around $500) and is an excellent resource (but again, gives mostly history rather than analysis of the sculptures).

For aesthetic works on the Louvre, you'll need a huge library or to go period by period (or artist by artist).

Same with D'Orsay, the most popular books on Amazon have beautiful color plates and minimal text. You can go movement by movement (but it's difficult to find books about, say, Fauvism, that are only about the D'Orsay). Just finding a good book about Monet that isn't just pictures is difficult (try reading reviews on Amazon and you'll see what I mean).

I'm currently reading books about Impressionism in general rather than trying to go museum by museum (we have 3 D'Orsay books, with plates of all the paintings; I have all of DelaCroix's major paintings in a book, and an analytic book on DelaCroix, just as an example - although again, it is not the same as reading art analysis, which is probably best found through a university library or, if you can, through scholar.google.com).

3. Re: Good Book!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:18