We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Paris with a handicap

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Paris with a handicap

So I just recently discovered I have severe hip arthritis and need a replacement - and cannot squeeze this in before our vacation - so my ability to walk is fairly restricted.

Any advice for getting around and seeing the sights other than frequent stops at cafes for espresso??!! :)

I don't mind paying up for personal services so am just starting to look at things like private tours - we found a service in Rome that actually takes you around the city in a golf cart!

I am also discovering that the museums typically rent wheelchairs so this too is a good option.

Stuff like that please.............

As always appreciate the help from those that take the time to respond.

David

Paris Charms & Secrets Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Paris by Martin & Friends
Night Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Sight Seeker's Delight Unique Walking Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

Investigate the possibility of using buses to travel around town:

www.ratp.info and www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php…

Also put 'buses' into the search box, as there has been a lot of discussion about using them.

Although people who can walk easily are often recommended to buy a Carnet of ten single-journey tickets, I think in your case it would be worth getting a pass of some kind so that you can just take a bus even for a short distance and not feel you are 'wasting' a ticket. There are three kinds of pass available:

Navigo Decouverte: runs Monday to Sunday, you can use it for a shorter period within this time, e.g. Tuesday to Saturday

Paris Visite: available for 1, 2, 3 or 5 consecutive days - usually considered poor value but for somebody in your situation it could be a good idea, especially as you say you are prepared to pay for convenience

Mobilis: one-day pass

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

My son, when aged about 9, broke his leg and had it in a full length plaster cast and was on crutches. We had booked a trip to Paris via Eurostar before he did it and with some trepidation decided not to cancel.

I'm so glad we didn't. We used the hop-on hop-off bus to get round the city between the sights which gave him a rest and also the chance to see the city. We were given time to get him up to the top deck.

People couldn't have been kinder. We were pulled out of queues and taken in direct to various places. Musee d'Orsay stands out in particular for queue jumping and the Louvre where he was shown to a hidden away staff toilet when I asked where the nearest one was.

Weirdest of all was traffic stopping at zebra crossings for us so that we could cross the road. It's never happened before or since! I recommend crutches in Paris!

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

thanks much - very helpful and a good idea! I have never thought of taking a bus in paris lol!

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

haha on the crutches - maybe I should!

but yes I am learning to contact the museums for handicap services - a whole new world for me

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

May sound a bit daft but how about one of them Segways for travelling around cut out a lot of walking.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

Quite a few museums (and parks like Bagatelle) provide free wheelchairs for people who need them.

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

daft indeed! I am drawing the line at the segways lol!

yes I am finding the museums should be no problem - now my worry is that we do too many so our son isn't happy - getting there!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

Liberal consumption of wine may also help the arthritis. ;-)

NZ
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

I'm also mobility challenged from a replacement knee op that went badly. I use the buses and plan my day to go out earlyish on the bus, have a good sit down somewhere for coffee and I make sure that where I stop has good sized comfortable chairs and not ones you perch on, walk a bit more, have lunch then if necessary return home for some time out and repeat the exercise. Often I cab back home if I get too tired and sore. The one problem I've found is that in smaller restaurants often toilet facilities are up/down very steep and rather awkward stairs so if I find a facility that looks much easier to manage (ie big hotels or shopping complexes) I utilise take advantage of it.

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking Paris with a handicap

lol on the wine - I absolutely intend to take some evening strolls!

yes that is kind of the way I imagined we would do things Kay - as my wife said Paris is going to be easier to navigate than Rome where we are prior - but there we found Paolo who will shuffle us around on his golf cart through the city!! :)