We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at Paris in four days

Pune, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
400 reviews
Save Topic
What to do at Paris in four days

I would be travelling down to Paris in mid-May 2013 with my wife and a couple of friends for four days. Our hotel booking and train tickets are all done and we would be staying close to the Paris Nord station. We have two half days (the ones on which we travel) and two full days to spend in the city. One of these is earmarked for Disneyland. I have tried to prepare an itinerary for the remaining days, but looking at the hundreds of options available, I have got totally confused. My rough itinerary is:

Day 1: Arrive at noon, check in and lunch etc. From 15:00 onwards, got to the Louvre as we are only interested in the Mona Lisa and the museum architecture. In the evening around 18:00, go to the Avenue des Champs-Élysées and see the monuments along the road including the Arc de Triomphe and the Place de la Concorde. We plan to do this on foot. I hope we can finish by 20:00, as I guess it would be dark by this time. We would be going to the Eiffel tower after this and returning late at night.

Day 2: Musee d'Orsay, Muséum national d'histoire naturelle, Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, Basilica of the Sacré Cœur.

Day 3: Disneyland

Day 4: We have time till 17:00 in the evening. No idea what to do in the morning. We are thinking of touring Versailles on this day, but have to be at Nord station by 17:00 at all costs.

I have got so many options on trip advisor that I am totally confused what to fit in and what not to fit in. Our group prefers architectural marvels and historically important landmarks, but are not too much into much into art and religion. Please help me round up the itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
112 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,420 Reviews
Paris, France
Place de la Concorde
Place de la Concorde
2,922 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,287 Reviews
Paris, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,028 Reviews
Paris, France
Sainte-Chapelle
Sainte-Chapelle
21,225 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,969 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

I personally would skip Disney. You have so little time in Paris, it seems a shame to waste it at a place like Disney. At a minimum, I would absolutely swap out time at Versailles for the time at Disney. I mean why see a fake model of a European castle at an American concession when you can go see a real castle?

You have left no time for savoring Paris! I would absolutely recommend walking around neighborhoods like St Germain, the Latin Quarter, the Marais or Monmartre. You could do a walk or two either with a guide (groups like Paris Walks http://www.paris-walks.com/ ) or with a guide book/website frommers.com/destinations/…0062020033.html

Take in a Paris market or flea market, sit in a cafe and people watch, or just wander and get lost.

Visit clubs like Caveau des Oubliettes - a former dungeon/prison that has been converted to a Jazz club and even still has a working guillotine.

There are more trip ideas just to the right of your question.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
919 Reviews
Paris, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,780 Reviews
Paris, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

im wondering the same. :)

I think i'll spend more time in Montmartre instead of museums.But obviously it depends on what you like.

i'll be there from wednesday till sunday. I'll share my experience with you when i'll be back :)

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,707 Reviews
Paris, France
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

<<I hope we can finish by 20:00, as I guess it would be dark by this time.>> Oh, definitely, it's not that long of a walk. From the Louvre, walk through Tuileries towards Place de la Concorde, through Champs Elysees to Arc de Triomphe.

I hope you're planning on spending time at Place du Trocadero when you visit the EIffel Tower - gorgeous views.

Day 2 may be a bit ambitious - there can be long lines at Orsay, Notre Dame and St. Chapelle.

You say you're not too much into art -is there a reason for 3 museums in such a short trip then? Lots of great parks in Paris, and architecture is marvelous to just walk around.

Some historic places you could add:

- Place des Vosges

- Place Vendome & Place de la Madeleine (Napoleon history)

- St Germain des Pres, Latin Quarter, the Marais

- Montmartre (also marvelous arcitechture)

- Definitely!!! Versailles!

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Place de la Concorde
Place de la Concorde
2,922 Reviews
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,301 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,420 Reviews
Paris, France
Cafe du Trocadero
Cafe du Trocadero
897 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,287 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Place des Vosges
Place des Vosges
5,189 Reviews
Paris, France
Place Vendome
Place Vendome
958 Reviews
Paris, France
La Madeleine
La Madeleine
1,980 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Napoleon Paris
Hotel Napoleon Paris
407 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Hotel Saint Germain des...
340 Reviews
Paris, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,780 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,707 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Pune, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

Thanks Rasteriasha for helping out. Do you think a Versailles trip would take a full day? I agree that 3 museums in a day is a big ask. I want to go to the Notre Dame for sure. The other places you mentioned; will it take half a day or so to check them out?

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Pune, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

Thanks StewardM_13. :) I wish you a nice trip!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

In mid-May the sun won't set until around 21:30.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

<<Do you think a Versailles trip would take a full day?>>

Not necessarily. I would recommend getting there early (like 30 min before opening time). You could be back in Paris as early as 3-4 pm. Maybe that afternoon is spent exploring the historic neighborhoods of St. Germain des Pres & Latin Quarter (including a stop by St. Germain Abbey, the oldest in Paris, St. Sulpice - beautiful organ, rue Mouffetard - historic market street, and Luxembourg Gardens - which have a fascinating history behind them) - and have dinner in that neighborhood, lots of good choices.

<<I want to go to the Notre Dame for sure. The other places you mentioned; will it take half a day or so to check them out?>>

So maybe after Notre Dame, you can stroll through the Marais, ending in Place des Vosges.

Or, you can head in a different direction and see Place Vendome, Place de la Madeleine and the Grands Boulevards area. From there, it's not too far from Montmartre (which, with Latin Quarter, I think it one of the most beautiful parts of Paris).

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Hotel Saint Germain des...
340 Reviews
Paris, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,780 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
919 Reviews
Paris, France
Saint-Sulpice
Saint-Sulpice
563 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Mouffetard
Le Mouffetard
168 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
30,637 Reviews
Paris, France
Place des Vosges
Place des Vosges
5,189 Reviews
Paris, France
Place Vendome
Place Vendome
958 Reviews
Paris, France
La Madeleine
La Madeleine
1,980 Reviews
Paris, France
Grands Boulevards
Grands Boulevards
77 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,707 Reviews
Paris, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

I wouldn't go a full day.

I came back from Paris some weeks ago, I didn't have much time so we did the basics :) But we had an amazing time, i felt in love with Montmatre (is not too dificult) Our apartment was trully beautiful, we were so lucky! Thank you for responding all the questions. I had a great great experience!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Pune, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

Thank you everybody for your advice. We had a great time in Paris, though our body was shattered to small pieces because of the long queues and walking involved. We had a mini-sightseeing tour on the first day and went to the Eiffel tower on the same evening. We had to wait for two hours in the queue, but the wait was worth the view from the summit. We also had a beautiful tour on the Seine and got to see the flashing lights on the Eiffel tower. The second day was spent at Versailles palace and gardens. We skipped the Trianons as the weather was bad on that day and we had to wait for two plus hours in the entrance queue despite having tickets booked in advance. The third day was spent at Disneyland, which was truly worth the small fortune spent on the tickets. The final day was another mini sight seeing tour and a trip to Roland Garros, which was a damp quib as the tennis museum was closed. Overall it was a great trip. but we were not ready for the unwinding queues everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,287 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,941 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do at Paris in four days

You arrived at Versailles after 10 am didn't you.... now fess up that sleeping in is what got you, lol

Even with a pass the lines for Versailles security can be very long, I must say I am surprised you waited 2 hours, as we arrived at 10:30 am last July and only waited 45 minutes which is still a long time to stand in the sun with your ticket in hand I must say.. There must have been something going on, or you arrived later in day?

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France