We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Foodie Questions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
2 Foodie Questions

Bon jour

1) I am planning to go to E. Dehillerin 18 et 20, rue Coquillière - 51, rue Jean- Jacques Rousseau - 75001 to buy copper saucepan. What are my chances of finding an old, used copper saucepan in a market instead, perhaps a Gaillard?

2) I would like to take back several "food" and spice gifts. I know that the various fleur de sels are easy to find, but I want to take back sweet piment (I have the hot), any very unusual spices (I really already quite a variety), Mariage Freres tea, good chocolate bars, hard cheese, and anything else you all can recommend, etc. Should I just suck it up and pay Galeries Lafayette prices or go to the sources? I know I am going to be at Galeries Lafayette at some point.

Merci

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

The Port de Vanves weekend flea market is where I would start looking for copper pots but if you happen to be here on the right day, lots of Les Vide Granier (Parisian garage sales) are happening in the spring.

vide-greniers.org/agendaDepartement.php…

I'll leave the second part of the question to others.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 11:45
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

Merci

Do you know what time Vanves closes? I will not be in my hotel (vaguely in Montparnasse) until 1:p.m.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

Not too sure about 1, the widest general flea market choice would be Puces de Saint Ouen (week-end only), but maybe you will not be able to find a brand name article.

For 2, I'd definitely go to the source, that's part of the fun (plus it's way easier to sample goods there than at a department store):

- spices: head to Izrael on rue François Miron, behind City Hall (tourist bonus: they are opposite the oldest housing building in Paris)

- Mariages Frères : love the Grands Augustins store; they may still have the special Easter Tea blend

- chocolate bars: Hevin, Genin, Roger, Marcolini... too many to count!

- hard cheese: Marie Anne Cantin is very passionate about her cheese (she organizes pricey but good tasting and wine matchin sessions)

- anything else: on the spices side, try Piment d'Espelette (goes very well with goat cheese or "fromage blanc")

A very good foodie option (though pricey for basic items) would be Grand Epicerie du Bon Marche, behind the Bon Marche.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 11:53
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

I pointed out Vanves specifically because I've seen copper pans many times there and they weren't being sold by the commercial brocante vendors that dominate Saint-Ouen. It's moot because Vanves is pretty much wrapped up by 1PM on Sundays

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

I love this shop for all sorts of spices, peppers, salt, vanilla beans.

www.epices-roellinger.com/?code_lang=en Their shop is at 51 rue Sainte Anne, 75002, Paris. They are closed Sunday and Monday.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

I buy excellent spices at the Epicerie Bruno on the r. Tiquetonne. They mix their own spice blends. And a second to Roellinger on the r. Sainte Anne. Another excellent choice.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ets-lion-paris

The above is a link to a yelp review of a shop in Montmartre called Etablissement Lion on rue Abessess that also has a large variety of spices, as well as jams, chocolates, oils.

Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

On Saturday mornings, take a stroll through the Marché des Battignolles - an all-organic farmers' market. There is a lovely spice stand in the middle. Also, if you are looking for unusual spices, try Izrael, 30 Rue François Miron, 75004 Paris.

California
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

Another excellent spice shop is Goumanyat et son Royaume--3, Rue Charles-Francis Dupuis; Open 11am - 7pm, Tues-Sat. Ring the bell for entry. They have great things in there!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Foodie Questions

My only "don't leave Paris without shopping here" address is G. Detou on rue Tiquetonne, cross street Montorgueil. Piments, yes, and an Ali Baba's cave of (I hate the word) gourmet foods and seasonings. I bring home kilo bags of Valrhona chocolate, available in about 6 concentrations of cacao. The prices at Detou knock the socks off any competition IMHO.

I think you are already heading to the Maille mustard shop on the south end of Madelaine where you should buy a pumped-to-order crock of unpasteurized seeded mustard for cooking. Oh, my! They will package it for safe arrival home in your checked luggage.