We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

I have purchased a 1st class Eurail France Italy 7 day pass.I am trying to reserve a seat online for travel from Paris to Nice on 5th July but am unable to do so.Any advice?Am I able to reserve this seat from Australia or do I wait until I get to Europe?Feeling quite stressed about this now.I opted for the pass as we also want to travel by train from Nice to Milan and also do some local train travel in France,I thought it would be a more economical option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...cannot do the reservation on Rail Europe(the site I purchased the pass from)

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,774 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

It is a pity you did not ask before you bought the pass, as it will almost certainly cost more than ordinary point-to-point tickets..

There is no way of obtaining an online seat reservation from SNCF. If you can't get one through RailEurope, you will have to wait until you get to France. However, in France the number of seats available to passholders is strictly limited, so you may not be able to travel Paris-Nice on the train that you want, or any train.

If you can return the pass, do so.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

Yes,I am kicking myself that I did not ask here first....thought it would be more economical,would feel OK if I could reserve the seats but did not realise it would be nigh on impossible...have emailed Raileurope australia but no response from them!!!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

France and Italy are two countries where a rail pass makes the least sense.

Even if there is a penalty for cancelling your pass it may still be worth while financially.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

The passes are fine as long as you avoid any train where reservations are required, i.e. TGVs, Lunea, or Teoz. Unfortunately, this means almost all trains from Paris to Nice. Reservations made to pass holders are almost nonexistent.

One strategy is to try for a "sur reservation". A sur reservation is a boarding ticket without a seat assigned only a car number is assigned. These are issued by the SNCF in cars where they estimate there may be no shows. With a sur reservation ticket you may occupy any empty seat as long as the ticket holder does not show up, but, some of the TGVs make stops along the way and an empty seat may only be temporarily available.

Another strategy would be to purchase a ticket now for Paris Nice. Tickets are currently available on 5 July for under 100 euros but prices rise as seats are sold, you would want to act quickly:

www.voyages-sncf.com

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

I am appreciating the replies and as I said should have asked for advice here first-does anyone know what I have to do to cancel the Eurail pass-it has not been posted to me yet,even though I have paid for it on my credit card

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

This is a helpful post as I want to book the same trip when we return next year. However, I'm still a little confused. Is it easier to book the train from Paris to Nice when you are there, or should you try to book it in advance?

Thanks

JDP

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

You can book once you arrive, but it's best to book in advance using http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ in order to get discounted tickets. I believe booking opens 90 days in advance., and the cheap fares are called PREMS.

Paris-Nice starts at €25.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 16:40
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,775 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

You can book when you arrive and pay tons, or you can book online in advance as soon as ticket sales for your dates open and save tons.

I pay 40 euros for a first class ticket from Paris to Nice last July!! I used idTGV site.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,643 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

You can make Paris-Nice reservations on Rail Europe Australia without any problem. If you cannot make one for your date, I suspect you are travelling on a date in late July for which reservations have not yet opened - these open around 90 days in advance.

Alternatively, maybe you have not explored the website sufficiently - you have to click the "I have a Railpass' on the opening page - this then opens a new 'Book a seat reservation' page.

Having said that, a Railpass is certainly a very bad choice economically for your itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reserving a seat on TGV fro Paris to Nice-help urgently!

It is possible to travel between Paris and Nice using a succession of TER and Intercities trains that do not require seat reservations. It would involve several changes, at Dijon, Lyon and Marseille as a minimum, and take quite a long time.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Marseille
Marseille