We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for college student meals

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Budget for college student meals

My son will be in Paris in May. He gets breakfast each day but we need to budget for the other 2 meals. In the US I would say 25 dollars. Thoughts?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for college student meals

He could make do with that. Menus and prices are posted everywhere. Some inexpensive options are pizza, crepes, sandwiches from patisseries and other take-out shops.

He'll learn quickly to price shop and stock up on beverages at a supermarket as they are quite pricey everywhere else.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for college student meals

He can live on 20Euros a day. A college student can live on whatever they're given, ha. Americans think three meals a day are necessary (but, many Americans do not in fact eat three of them, and neither do we, when we're in France - not "meals" per se).

He can pick up a baguette and a bottle of yogurt for lunch for something like 3E total. There are water fountains everywhere and a refillable healthy bottle is a must for a student. Fruit stores are happy to sell one apple. You probably don't want him going for plat + dessert twice a day if he's going to be sitting and studying, right? So $5 for lunch.

Then, he can find a nice local café and eat a regular dinner for 12-14E ($16-18) once he knows his way around (it won't be fancy or gourmet, but if he chooses properly, he might be able to include one glass of wine and be out the door for American $20.

He can also find cheaper meals than that (sandwiches from a boulangerie - some have a little deli section with great salads too), or pizza or fast food style hamburgers. Falafel stands, crêpe stands and Asian take out are also relatively inexpensive (other students will tell him how to do all this).

Some people find the French idea of a breakfast to be inadequate to start the day (had to wean my DH off the idea of eggs and potatoes, although he was raised in Europe, his native breakfast was apparently more hearty - they always had some kind of hot cereal, for example).

I'd think that a place that offered breakfast to American students would include several kinds of cereal, certainly granola, milk, fruit, pastries and possibly yogurt (again, but it's healthy). I am doubting he'll see scrambled eggs or pancakes...

With $25 a day, though, he should be able to come in under that with a little student creativity on enough days to be able to splurge on others.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,847 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for college student meals

Crepe stuffed with ham and cheese from crepe stand on street , about 5 euros.

Sandwich with meat and or cheese from a bakery( its going to be a baquette with minimal fillings, not like the giant subs he may be used to ) for 3-5 euros.

Bottle/can of soda or juice from a corner store 1 euro.. at a café 2-4 euros( tell him soda at a café is very expensive! )

Sit down café meal at a budget type place, if he orders "le menu"( which is a preset selection written on a black board etc of two or sometimes three courses) can range from 12-20 euros.

As he is a student he will be with other students some of whom may have already found out where the deals are..

And as said , breakfasts may not be quite as hearty as he is used to , so he may wish to stock up on some snacks in his room.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for college student meals

Thanks!! I am sure he will save some days and splurge others. I am going to encourage him to spend time on this board. So many good ideas and suggestions!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for college student meals

Eglise Madeleine (Madeleine Church) serves a full lunch for about 8E. Here is more information: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k52842…

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget for college student meals

I thunk your budget is too frugal - and needs some wiggle room. He will meet other students and they may/will want to go out for a glass of wine, bistro meal albeit simple. Allow for some of this or his experience will be less that enjoyable.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget for college student meals

We want to be realistic. How much more would you add?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget for college student meals

Hi keymom,

I agree with the suggestion on giving him some wiggle room to have fun. But, I'm not sure I understand - where will he be living? His own studio, with a kitchen? Or in a dorm (with a cafeteria that serves lunch)? Or none of the above?

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget for college student meals

street food is the best in Paris-breakfast of coffee and croissant ordered from a counter to eat standing or take away (table service has an extra cost), patisseries usually offer a Croque Monsieur. Lunch of Falafel, crêpe, pizza, baguettes (cheese is often Brie or swiss not "American" or cheddar), a wonderful treat is a greasy wonderful take away roasted chicken with potatoes found all over the LQ. If he would to splurge, do it at lunch with the cafe special not at dinner. A tip is to use counter service, drink tap water, go a few blocks from tourist locations where the students actually go (the further from the Seine the better), wine is always cheaper than Cola, and link a bank acct to his ATM in case of emergencies to help him have the best vacation! I also gave my daughter Starbucks cards, which she adored me for!! Have him Skype or email rather than call home.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget for college student meals

I don't know where in the US the OP lives but 2 weeks ago I was in Washington state. My buddy and I can be frugal but very plain one dish basic meals for $ 15 ? --no beer, wine or dessert, just coffee-- PLUS tax and the dreaded tip, with waitstaff not looking happy at our 15% tip (calculated on the amount before tax).