We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parisian snobbery coming back?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
129 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Parisian snobbery coming back?

Four of us just came back from a 5 night sojourn to Paris - we stayed at the Westin Paris Vendome across from the Gardens. Now, all of of have been traveling to Paris (and other parts of France) since the 80's.......and it was in the 80's & 90's when the legendary restaurant snobbery was at its height. However in the late 90's and most of 2000 it almost completely disappeared - but I am here to tell you it is back. Four out of the six restaurants we went to - all highly rated - were very disappointing. Completely ignored - having to sit and wait for 15 to 20 minutes before we finally had to either get up and personally speak to a wait staff or just all of us getting up and leaving. This just does not make business sense. A successful restaurant should encourage their staff to promptly serve their customers and provide excellent service which, in turn, encourages good PR and repeat business. Crazy - and it seems to be unique to Parisians only - not in other parts of France. So, back to the "good old days" again? Hope not.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

'I've yet to "meet" a snobby Parisian!'

Lori girl, you'd be surprised!

Ker where did you get the info on the Parisians answering polls who haven't travelled a lot?

Edited: 15 May 2013, 19:39
Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

Seanbee - well I guess I'm hoping I never do! :) My experiences with strangers are...be nice to them and they almost always will be nice to you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

<<Ker where did you get the info on the Parisians answering polls who haven't travelled a lot?>>

Well, seanbee, it just so happens that I worked for 35 years for a major international airline and while most of my colleagues could talk about Bali, San Francisco or Rio, the majority of them had never been to places like Brussels, Zürich, Berlin or Prague, but I do know that they all had opinions about all of the other countries of Europe -- I certainly heard them talking about such things for all of those years. If they were ever polled, I can imagine the (in)accuracy of any statements. I myself am not an expert on every country mentioned in the Pew poll, because not all of us are seanbee.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

If you want the worst service from the rudest shop assistants anywhere in the world, try E. Dehillerin.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

Interesting. My experience was quite fine at E,Dehillerin. I went in ready to buy a specific item and was referred to one at half the price I had intended to pay, along with detailed reasons why the less expensive one would serve my needs better. I considered that outstanding service.

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

People are people. As my Dad used to say, "if you don't like your neighbours where you live now, you won't like the ones any better wherever you go ...."

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
87. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

Thanks Ker. It is clear now. I was just afraid it was another sweeping statement here on TA with no back up or foundation!

88. Re: Parisian snobbery coming back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:16