We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

I am travelling alone to Pairs for two nights 24/25th of may and leaving quite late on the Sunday, have been twice before and seen all the main attractions so now I am really looking to see a different side of Paris. I am keen to explore le marais etc anyone have any good suggestions of places to visit like this that are not so mainstream but really cool to see!?

Also if anyone is out there on these dates and would like to go for a beer and sightseeing etc let me know!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

It depends on your interests, but you could perhaps go on a walk along Saint Martin Canal, visit Père Lachaise cemetery and go to some market or market street/s ..like the bustling rue Montorgueil.

www.geobeats.com/video/56cf27/canal-st-martin

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187147-…

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

The Marais is totally mainstream, but if you haven't been there it's worth strolling around. Get a good map of Paris and start at the Bastille and walk all the small streets around the Place des Vosges - end up around the Centre Pompidou.

If you really want to avoid the mainstream, you need to get out into Belleville or Ménilmontant or any of the outer arrondissements.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

For walking around the Marais, see

http://www.elzevir.net/ballade_1.htm

For Ménilmontant, see

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

a magnificent photo tour so generously contributed by kerouac2 (among many, many, others you may find of interest).

Asheville, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

My husband and I have traveled to Paris a number of times and like you have seen all the main attractions. So last year we did what we called the Paris Noir tour, visiting its darker places, like the Père Lachaise cemetery, the Paris underground catacombs (truly bizarre) and the Paris Opera underground (reminiscent of Phantom of the Opera). There's also the Dans le Noir restaurant where you eat in total darkness.

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

Thanks so much djk ... and k2. There is so much to see ... I am overwhelmed. I am here for a month and for the 3rd time ... and still want more!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

Rue François Miron is lovely to walk (see Hôtel de Sens, front and back and maybe go in the library - there are lots of books with pictures, it's the library of the history of Paris, I believe). Musée Carnavalet and Les Archives are must-sees (Carnavalet is free and especially wonderful). This will take you a bit off the beaten path and if you just keep walking around, you'll just see more and more. One day we headed north past Les Archives (on Rue des Archives) past Temple Square (where the Knights Templar had their famous bank) and up to Blvd Saint Martin and west (it was a long walk, but we ended up exploring some of the Passages: Panoramas and one other (where the Grevin wax museum is - we didn't go in, but the passage was delightful). By then Saint Martin had changed names a couple of times and we had seen many amazing things.

Art et Metiers (Museum) is so worth a stop too, if you're making a loop or day of it. Thought we could do it in an hour, but got completely and totally absorbed in all they had inside (the entire history of weights and measures is far more fascinating than I could have thought and I learned the explanations for things like "rod" that I had never known and just how hard it was and is to get merchants to measure things in a standard way). There is such cool 19th century lab equipment from men like Lavoisier and others, and exhibits on the history of bicycles and autos, and it is all so well done. We ended up spending at least 3 hours (and it was on a different day than the other walk).

Anyway, just get out and explore LeMarais - any place you see on google that's a square or park has something of interest and is usually very pretty and the parks are all so different from each other. You've of course already done Place de Vosges and the market Richard Lenoir (Sunday near Bastille), right?

Asheville, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

The Jewish Quarter in Le Maraus is very interesting. Before WWII it had one of Europe's largest Jewish populations. Rue St Antoine is at its center and you can check out the amazing pastry shops and beautiful old buildings.

Manchester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I am going to see as much of the suggested as possible!

Edited: 13 May 2013, 15:07
9. Re: Travelling alone to Paris 24-26th may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:17