We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a common hazard?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a common hazard?

We're leaving in a week from today, so I'm having a hard time focusing on work, kids, chores, etc. I keep checking the TA forum, the Paris weather, my packing list, and all my favorite Paris blogs instead.

Do others find the pre-trip anticipation interferes with daily life? Is there a prescription I can get? ;-)

Cheers,

BookLover

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
2,056 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a common hazard?

Just go with the flow and enjoy the anticipation. That's part of the fun. It could be a lot worse. Just before any of my major trips, Murphy's Law seems to go into effect -- not with the trip but with daily life. I've had cars die, major leaks, fences blow over, plumbing concerns, etc., etc. I'll never forget the one time that things seemed to be going well. Then the day before we left, a huge black cloud hovered over our back yard. It turned out to be a swarm of killer bees that proceeded to settle in one of our trees. No easy feat to get that taken care of before we left! Have a wonderful trip.

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a common hazard?

I call it starting to decompress! It is harder when you get back. Because then you will not have all these distractions and planning issues. You will feel a little empty. So you start researching the next trip

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a common hazard?

Forget about the weather forecasts -- they are never reliable for Paris because it is a meteorological battle zone (maritime weather versus continental weather) and just a shift of 50 km can change everything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a common hazard?

I'm here now and the weather has been fantastic. Not a drop of rain since Wednesday.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a common hazard?

Daisy, I've been enjoying your trip reports! Have fun...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a common hazard?

It's actually hard to plan a trip and get ready, it really is. We now take off at least a week before we leave, ha. Coming back is worse, for sure.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a common hazard?

If you aren't excited about a trip abroad for vacation, then perhaps the trip isn't worth taking, since trips abroad are expensive. Thus, it is perfectly normal to be preoccupied by the upcoming trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a common hazard?

I'm in the same boat, we leave one week today and I'm having anxiety and stress attacks and I know that they're completely unreasonable.

I'm so looking forward to leaving and becoming myself again.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a common hazard?

Definitely! Important to suck the marrow out of this travel thing!

I'm leaving for Paris with 3 girlfriends on Tuesday and to prepare I've been consuming some French wine and the local Pain au Chocolate (made by a Frenchman).

I feel it's only reasonable to start my acclimatisation process in this may.

Got to admit though that the weather here at home is absolutely cracking at the moment. Oh, well, figure Paris and Alsace will help me get over it.

Enjoy the lead up to your trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a common hazard?

I'm leaving Tuesday for 7 weeks in Europe/Russia. I am soooo excited, that I can hardly be bothered with the things I should be doing before I leave. Like getting an electrician in to put a new light in the kitchen ceiling. It literally fell apart. So I just took an uplight from the TV room, and am making good. It'll be something to worry about when I get back. And I don't know why I'm on TA on a Saturday afternoon, when I should be doing something else