We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Chartres

Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Chartres

After receiving some very solid advice on this forum to my question about renting a car for a day trip, we have decided to "ditch" the car idea, and use the train for a day trip. We have considered many destinations that are easily reached by train from Paris, but have settled on Chartres, a 1 hour train ride from Gare Montparnasse. We were going to do this on a weekend, but would like your advice again! For a mid-June visit, would Chartres be over-run on a Saturday or Sunday? Would it be a much better idea to do this trip on a regular weekday? (we could do it on the Thursday). Thanks again for all your help, this is a great forum!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chartres
Chartres
Loire Valley, France
La Gare
La Gare
1,292 Reviews
Paris, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,094 Reviews
Paris, France
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Chartres

Chartres has never been a major weekend destination for the French so the word overrun never applies there. Actually you do want a certain amount of tourists there as otherwise the town can easily feel dull and sleepy despite its cute old center. So no worries, unless your notion of overrun differs from mine (for me it applies to Versailles, Giverny, Mont-Saint-Michel...) Chartres will never feel overcrowded with tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Chartres
Chartres
Loire Valley, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Giverny
Giverny
Eure, France
Mont-Saint-Michel
Mont-Saint-Michel
Manche, France
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Chartres

Chartres is lovely. Take the last train back if you can, so you can also see it lit up at night. Great choice!

Mentioned in this post
Chartres
Chartres
Loire Valley, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Chartres

I agree with the advice not to wory about overcrowding.

If you are going in the morning, be aware that that there might be a mid-day gap between train departures -- say, between 10am and 1pm. Study the schedule at sncf. Try to arrive at the Montparnasse station at least 30 minutes before the train's departure, especially if you are using the Metro to get to the station.

I like the idea of seeing the cathedral lit up, but in June that won't happen until fairly late in the evening.

-- Steve

Mentioned in this post
Montparnasse Station
Montparnasse Station
122 Reviews
Paris, France
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Chartres

However, if you refer to the schedule on the link below, you will see schedules between the hours of 10 am and 1 pm.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ (Use Antarctic as the ticket collection country, not the U.S.)

The following link provides instructions on using the voyages-sncf site;

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Chartres

I think there's a fairly late train back to Paris - there's one at 10:30 pm. I think that should allow about an hour of fairly dark time - the light and sound show starts at 9:00 and even if one only sees a portion of it, it is a good thing.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Chartres

"I think that should allow about an hour of fairly dark time". Not mid-June. With sunset around 10 pm, it won't get dark till 10:40 pm.

7. Re: Day trip to Chartres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:16