We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

harbonnieres

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
harbonnieres

my great uncle is buried in heath cemetery harbonnieres. How is the best way to get there from paris & back again. Can we do the cemetery & battlefields in 1 day or should we stay a night close by. Would appreciate all advice thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: harbonnieres

The nearest larger town is Amiens (you might want to post there) and it looks to be about an hour or two north of Paris by train. It sure looks like the battlefield area is near the cemetery. Here's the link for finding a grave at Harbonnieres on findagrave, hope it works:

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi…

A lot depends on your own ways of visiting a relative's grave. Some people stand for a long time, others pay a short visit. Same with battlefields. Here's a site on visiting Amiens and Harbonnieres:

ww1westernfront.gov.au/heath-cemetery/maps.h…

Try googling "train from Paris to Amiens" but you might need to come back and ask more specific questions about getting train tickets. If you want advance tickets purchased from Australia, someone will be able to help you with that specific question.

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: harbonnieres

Not sure if this will be any help, but thanks to TA I travelled to my Uncle's grave last week from Paris. He is buried in the military cemetery at le Pont-d'Achelles near Nieppe on the Belgian border... same general direction but further afield. I managed it all in one day .. TGV to Lille (booked on line from Australia on the tgveurope website, thanks to Sidneynick and his traveltips at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm), regional train to Armentières (bought on the day at the Lille train station) and local bus to the cemetery (thanks to Paul Duncan who I messaged through TA - he knows the area). I even managed to find some flowers at the Carrefour in Armentières while I was waiting for the bus. It was quite an adventure, though a bleak day .... in terms of weather and mood. I can't speak too highly of the French public transport system, staff and service. Everyone was very helpful and courteous. Many thanks to TA! .. and good luck on your pilgrimage.

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: harbonnieres

Oops! Just to be clear, I went there and back to Paris, all in the one day - no problem.

4. Re: harbonnieres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 06:19