We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris for a teenager

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
orchard park, new...
1 post
Save Topic
Paris for a teenager

I'm travelling to Paris with my 17 year-old daughter,and staying in the Latin Quarter. What would be good activities for her to explore on her own? We get on well, but, like any teenager, I know she'd appreciate time away from mother. If anyone here is planning to be in Paris from June 25-29, and is in a similar position, please let me know.

boston
Level Contributor
330 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris for a teenager

Not planning to be in Paris in your time frame and do not know what particular interests your daughter has. My 17-year-old just returned from France (Rennes)...too soon to know what the aftereffects are of that year-long stay! However, thought I'd tell you one surprise that I had - the drinking age for beer and wine in France is 16! What your daughter doesn't know won't affect her, probably, but it is a big difference between France and the States!

Mineola, Texas
Level Contributor
793 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris for a teenager

Upstate...without knowing anything about your daughter's interests or personality, it's difficult to answer this question.

Hubby and I stayed in the Latin Quarter ...Notre Dame is very near, and also the St Severin Church is in the Latin Quarter (on St Severin *grin*)...St Severin is a much smaller church, but also beautiful (and much, much less crowded than Notre Dame). Across the Seine (I can't remember the street it's on, but I think we crossed a bridge near Notre Dame) there is a large dept store called Etam that has lots of cute, reasonably priced things I'm sure your daughter (and you!) would love.

There are also lots of book stores (called "librairies") in the Latin Quarter.

Tell more about your daughter and her interests and you may get some more suggestions.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris for a teenager

Hey upstate ---

Check out Mike"s Bike"s - they do bicycle tours of Paris -- I've heard from a number of teens that Mike's was the highlight of the trip for them -- The web site is www.FatTireBikeToursParis.com - It seems they've changed their name.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris for a teenager

There is no longer a Mike´s Bike Tour in Paris. Since 2003.

Mike´s Bike Tours exist only in Munich and Amsterdam.

Fat Tire Bike Tours in Paris would be what you would look for in Paris these days.

Mike Lasher

Mike´s Bike Tours

England
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris for a teenager

Hi.

On a far less cultured note, I must mention shopping!

Mango, Zara, Etam and H&M all have shops based in the shopping area quite near the Louvre in the Rue du Pont Neuf/ Rue de Rivoli area, (nearest Metro is probably Cite). These sell cheap and fashionable clothes, (especially Zara), that your daughter, (if she likes clothes shopping but doesn't expect 'labels'), will probably love!

A bit more upmarket, Galeries Lafayette is a fantastic and very beautiful department store, (nearby is Printemps store). It stocks a wide range of designer and 'own brand' goods. Nearest Metro is Opera or Havre-Caumartin. Check it out at:

www.paris.org/Shops/Large/lafayette.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris for a teenager

Hey upstate --

My daughter made her first trip to Paris alone just after her 17th birthday. My suggestion is that you hand yours a guide book or two and let her run her preferences by you -- If she likes good old Rock and Roll, Pere Lachaise Cemetary is probably on the list - (Jim Morrison's grave, among others) BTW, a perfectly safe place to go - normally a never-ending parade of tourists for that highlight -- You get veto power, and you won't be spinning your wheels.

Mentioning wheels - Mike's Bikes has a new name - Fat Tire Bike Tours - the web site is the obvious one www.fattirebiketoursparis.com - they offer tours of Paris by day and by night, Versailles and a day trip to the D-Day beaches and there are the Segway tours - i don't know how to contact them - but someone else will post - both the bikes and the Segways are popular with teens - both are well-organized group events.

You'll both have a great time. - Bon voyage.

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris for a teenager

This year it's me traveling with a 17 year old (and her 13 year old cousin). Anybody have anything to add on this topic?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris for a teenager

I think that if she wants to go explore on her own, it will be perfectly safe. Make sure she has a map. She'll probably cling to you however as it is easier to be adventurous at home.

staffordshire,uk
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris for a teenager

We saw an amazing site one friday night, it was gone midnight and a hundred or more people on roller blades were skating through the city, this was organised by a company called Paris Roller, apparently it happens every friday. Ok not the usual thing to suggest but definately something very different for her to experience. It was properly organised, with helpers and police to cordon off the streets. Not sure if this was for locals only or anyone can take part?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris for a teenager

Not sure if this was for locals only or anyone can take part?

Everyone can take part but has to be a good skater and come with equipment. It is an amazing energizing event to witness. Better not want to cross the street when they are around!