We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

California
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

I posted a message regarding the dinner cruise, but the topic changed a bit, so I am reposting my updated question here as I need help! Basics: 17 year old celebrating birthday in Paris. The dinner cruise we wanted is booked (my bad) and I checked out an alternate dinner cruise (thanks TA) but menu didn't work. We need a venue with a menu serving simpler fare... either roast chix with mashed potatoes or a main dish of salmon... Since it is her birthday, we don't want to force her to be adventurous that night. Any other suggestions out there??? She wants to dress up a bit and we will have been touring/shopping in the Marias (spell?) district all day, going back to the room in the 6th to change for dinner. We thought a dinner and then a night cruise, but the timing is hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I sure did blow it. I tired the Eiffel Tower too...booked booked booked!!! ARG!!! Want to spend up to (but don't have to) 100 euros per person. Thank you TA!!! posters! Please save my scalp!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Le Train Blue and transport her back in time to the 19th century with excellant food great service and surroundings she wont forget ever.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,129 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

I totally agree with wrappido.

If you want something simple but somewhat dressy in the 6th, try La Rotisserie en Face on rue Christine. It definitely serves roast chicken and potatoes.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d7…

But Train Bleu is gorgeous--so check that menu out first.

http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

The salmon at Bouillon Racine was excellent. Check it out online, it's gorgeous. It may have roast chicken too, but it definitely had salmon the night we were there.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

I enjoyed salmon twice a few weeks ago - at l'Epoque (off Place de la Contrascarpe) with beurre blanc over pasta (not a combination I would have ever dreamed up at home, but it was fantastic) and at Le Rousseau (rue du Cherche-Midi) with Bearnaise sauce. Both times, the salmon was grilled to perfection (crispy). You do have to be careful ordering salmon in Paris as sometimes it's cooked only on one side..."Filet de saumon grillé à l'unilatérale", a preparation which I don't care for at all.

A wonderful place for roast chicken (with puree, mashed potatoes) is Atelier Maître Albert. The ultra modern gas grill with vertical spits is something to see (along with the Medieval fireplace on the opposite wall).

Bircotes, England...
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Thank you wrappido for mentioning Le Train Bleur! I'd not heard of it before this and I've just checked it out. I don't know about the OP but it's now at the top of my list for my birthday dinner next month! :D It's absolutely gorgeous!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Brasserie Flo in the 10th is also a gem.

California
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Thank you for your posts! We have accessed several of these options and presented the menus to our picky daughter. My spouse has made reservations at Train Bleu for now, so we have a place to go, as the décor was most impressive. TA posters are great! Merci!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Eiffel tours to check! I am planning too, thought they were all booked, but this group sounds great. we are doing cheaper entrance tour and have access to all levels!

They also have other tours to big sites.

http://classicwalksparis.com/paris/links

California
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Hi All,

We are back and I wanted to report that we took TA advice and attended the restaurant 'Le Train Blu' for our daughter's 17th birthday. Pros It was beautiful and the food was wonderful. Cons: the signage to guide you to the restaurant from the train station outside the building was not good (we used maps to the venue) and when we called from the street below, the staff could not assist us with directions on where in the large venue to go to access the restaurant. We explored and found it is literally in the present train station facing the trains (for some reason we thought it was in an older part of the building). The birthday experience was mixed for her - they seated us by the big window for the view when they heard it was her birthday. They also brought four small wafers with a candle in between then and put it in front of her at the end of the meal which was nice. She had flank steak with mashed potatoes which was not something she favors as the salmon dish turned out to be flavored with a sauce that she didn't want and so she had to get something different. The staff was not 'helpful' when we had questions about the food and I don't know if it was the language issue or just the stuffiness that just comes with the restaurant. This stuffiness became evident when we didn't order a lot of appetizers and only two of us ordered wine. Our waiter seemed bored by us and even though they will provide a carafe of water with your meal (we did order drinks as well) it didn't arrive until we were almost finished with the meal and after we asked for it a few times. We had a non drinker with us and that didn't seem to sit too well. The food was great... I had a leg of lamb carved right in front of me and it was tender and flavorful. The flank steak was ordered by a few of our party and was rated very highly. The desserts were fabulous too as we all ordered goodies from the menu. There was a resident cat that came and greeted us a few times while we were eating and I took several pictures of it. Our waiter chilled a little when they saw we were enchanted with the cat...which was very well behaved. All in all a good restaurant but our daughter enjoyed other venues more for the food. However, she rated this one the best in celebratory atmosphere so I rate it a success. I would recommend going there. Thanks TA!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I blew it...need help with birthday dinner...

Good report. Thanks.

Service in Paris can unfortunately be like this.

Hope you'll leave a review for the restaurant which will be more useful than a forum post in this situation.