We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to explore in the evening?

Boston...
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas to explore in the evening?

Paris experts -

What areas have you found to be the most interesting in the evenings with shops open and lots of people out and about?

My party consists of myself and my three teenage daughters (18, 16 &13). Romantic and costly 3 hour dinners and the bar/club scene is clearly not on my radar for this trip. In the event that we are not all completely wiped out at the end of the day I would like to have a sense of what areas would be fun to poke around in during the evening? Do shops stay open in the evenings in some areas or does everything shut down early? I would like to pick different arrondissement to explore each evening after we have gone back to our Hotel to freshen up. If you have any suggestions on particular streets or areas that might be fun exploring between say 7-10 pm it would be appreciated!

Thank you as always for your help as I would be lost planning this trip without this forum and the generosity of your time and knowledge!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

Ok this is not for shops but if you are in Paris on a warm evening why not put together a pic nik and sit in the Champ de Mars In front of the Eiffel Tower. Many others will be doing the same and there is a really fun chilled out atmosphere. On the hour every hour (evening) the Eiffel Tower sparkles which looks amazing from the Champ De Mars.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 17:44
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

I'd love to know this, too. I don't plan to eat dinner until about 9 p.m.

Merci

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

Rue Buci in the 6th, and all surrounding streets leading to Bl St Germain or to the Seine.

Rue des Ecoles beginning behind the Odeon metro and leading into the Latin Quarter.

Rue Cardinal Lemoine from the Seine to the Place du Contrescarpe

Rue des Martyrs from the Notre Dame de Lorette church up to Montmartre

Rue des Rosiers/Rue Bourg Tibourg/rue Tresor area of the Marais.

The Ile St Louis

There are truly just so many places for you to choose, and I notice you had a previous question on the forum about walking. So I will recommend a great little walking route book called "Insight Guides: Paris Step by Step." It will outline for you many great walks--St Germain, Latin Qtr, Canal St Martin, Montmartre, etc.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

Less quaint but also pleasant would be the Grands boulevards / Opera / Madeleine area; plenty of great people watching will all the theater / opera-goers, plus lots of late-eating options

(especially beautiful under the rain IMO)

California
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

Shops in Paris generally close earlier than we are used to in the US. Late shopping hours at the department stores is as follows:

Galleries Lafayette is open until 9 pm on Thursday nights

Au Printemps is open until 10 pm on Thursday

BHV is open until 9 pm on Wednesday and 8 pm on Saturday

Le Bon Marché is open till 9 pm on Thursday & Friday

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,589 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

The Pont des Arts at night with the throngs. There's usually musicians, people having a picnic, people sipping, and all waiting for the Eiffel Tower to light up on the hour. You can see about half of it, but you can also watch as the Seine tour boats cruise underneath you.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

As for shops, there will be more shops offering long-hour openings during summer sales, in case you are there during that period (26th June to 30th July).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

Most of the Champs Elysées is open until 1am and it certainly seems to please the tourists.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

An evening walk along the Canal St. Martin is always enjoyable.

Boston...
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best areas to explore in the evening?

Yes Parisix, we will be there in that time frame! So, we have sales here all the time - can you educate me on what Summer Sales in Paris are all about? Are they truly fantastic deals or more a marketing thing like many of the supposed sales here in the States?